Oil Pressure gauge Sticks. Should I replace It?

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
Jim Ed

Oil Pressure gauge Sticks. Should I replace It?

Post by Jim Ed »

I have a 1973 Beetle. It has a VDO oil pressure gauge like this:
http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDet ... tCode=2330

Yesterday I started it up.
The oil light on the speedo temporarily lit up and went out as usual but, the oil pressure gauge did not work. I tapped on it lightly and it started working.
It had been raining for few days. I thought moisture could have gotten in the gauge.
The gauge is almost 10 years old.
Does this mean the gauge is going out?
Should I replace it?
TIA!
Jim Ed

Re: Oil Pressure gauge Sticks. Should I replace It?

Post by Jim Ed »

I checked it yesterday. It worked the first time.
As long as the dash warning light works ... .
I think I have a stock oil pressure switch sender on the shelf in case the gauge and sender quit working.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I'd let it ride for now, so long as you can keep the idiot light working. Dunno what CBPerformance is selling at that price, but it's a great deal if it's a genuine VDO 350040 - most places get substantially more for those.

http://www.jegs.com/i/VDO/918/350-040/10002/-1
Jim Ed

Post by Jim Ed »

The needle has not stuck again yet.
Jim Ed

Post by Jim Ed »

Marc wrote:I'd let it ride for now, so long as you can keep the idiot light working. Dunno what CBPerformance is selling at that price, but it's a great deal if it's a genuine VDO 350040 - most places get substantially more for those.

http://www.jegs.com/i/VDO/918/350-040/10002/-1
I think the gauge at Jegs has the shipping included.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The problem is just as likely to be the sender.
Together they cost ~$70+.

For $41 I'm tempted to pick up the Jegs branded gauge and sender just to see how well it works.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Piledriver wrote:...For $41 I'm tempted to pick up the Jegs branded gauge and sender just to see how well it works.
I was thinking the same thing, until I noticed that the pictured sender is clearly marked "0-10 bar" which would be the appropriate one for a 0-150 psi gauge. While shopping about, I've noticed the same confusion present in senders for sale on Amazon and eBay - although they claim to be 0-80 psi, in the detailed description most say that they're 0-150 psi, or 0-10 bar, or 1Mpa (the latter two represent approximately 145 psi).

Both the 80 psi/5bar and the 150psi/10 bar VDO gauges take a 10-180 Ω sender, but they must be matched. Use an 80 lb sender on a 150 lb gauge and it'll read about twice what it should; vice-versa, it'll read about half true pressure.

I've got an NOS VDO 0-5 bar gauge and a Chinese-copy 0-80 psi sender coming from eBay ($35.99 for both w/free shipping)...I'll report how they work when I get my trike back on the road.