Gas gauge

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.

Moderator: 2088 bob

Aztec7oldone

Gas gauge

Post by Aztec7oldone » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:48 am

I have a 69 type1 frame with a Aztec7 body kit. Looking for help with a fuel gage that seems to bounce all over the place. I have checked power to tank sender and also have good ground. Is there a way to measure the sensor with a meter for resistance or other value . I have a second sender out of the tank,but don't seem to able to get a reading . also is there any specific way of installing it. thanks

Marc

Re: Gas gauge

Post by Marc » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:03 am

Thermal-style senders should measure approx 75Ω with the float at full droop, and about 10Ω with it all the way up.

http://www.speedyjim.net/htm/fuel_ga.htm

Beetle senders and gauges are of the "thermal" design type; disregard the section on the balance-coil setup used in Type IIIs, most 'Ghias and older Buses unless you're using those components...scroll past to the last part for basic gauge tests.

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:12 am

When I bought my aftermarket gauges I had to specify what the OHM reading of the float in the tank was. If I remember correctly, Ford uses a low OHM reading while GM a higher reading... the choices available went on seemingly ad infinitum. Add to what Marc said, make sure that the gauge and sender are matched.

Lee

Aztec7oldone

Post by Aztec7oldone » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:43 am

Thanks for the help. I do have another vdo sender that registers about 10-78 ohms. I will try that one out of the tank to check the gauge. Old tank and sender are painted so mabe just making bad ground.