71 Beetle New Wiper & Washer Switches wont fit..

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
Dougy Dee

71 Beetle New Wiper & Washer Switches wont fit..

Post by Dougy Dee »

New wiper and washer switches are jamming up in the steering column. These are not the units with individual wires dangling from them. These have two white plastic wire accumulators that snap together to form an arc shaped unit that slides in to the column. They also are supposed to snap in to the switch assembly but CRAP (Chinese Republic Authentic Part) happens.

I used what I felt was extreme force (pushing the assemblies home with all my strength) to get them close enough that the screws would pull them home. I should have quit when wondering whether a hammer would help but I persevered and won. Unfortunately they don't trigger the devices so now I need to remove them. [insert expletive here]

I'll bench test the switches and sand the accumulator plugs to fit. I should have known when the boxes marked Germany all over them also had a small sticker 'Made In China'.

Am I the only one that hates 21st century economic realities?
mountainkowboy

Re: 71 Beetle New Wiper & Washer Switches wont fit..

Post by mountainkowboy »

That's a 72 your working on, the 71 still had a switch on the dash, and yes what is available is garbage. My 71 vert had the wrong blinker switch, which is a 1 year only part. The replacements that are available are not even close to the quality of the original. I found a parts car that appears to have a good OG switch. Theres always the JY runs looking for a good one.
71 Ghia Coupe........For Sale
71 Super-Beetle Convertible.....returning to DD status
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
Dougy Dee

Post by Dougy Dee »

You're right. 10/71 build date makes it a '72. Too many of these floating around the shop. 4 at last count.
Dougy Dee

Post by Dougy Dee »

After grinding and filing I got the wire accumulator to fit. Ended up clipping off several wires and relocating a few. I hate soldering but I had to solder on several of the wire tabs that fell off. It's working now.
No warranty on these Chinese Republic Authentic Parts. CRAP for short...