Alternator replacement issue

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
stantheman

Alternator replacement issue

Post by stantheman »

G'day all, have just replaced my genny with an alternator on my drag car. The alternator I have is from a Suzuki swift. It has the large terminal which I have connected as per a diagram from here also bypassing the STD voltage reg. The alternator also has a plug with two wires...red/white and black/white.

I've found a diagram which shows the red/white wire goes to the alt light (which is LED) not sure about the white/black wire as I've seen it left but the diagram I have shows it going to the other side of the alt light. LED lights but does not go out.

I've been told sometimes LEDs aren't enough to excite the circuit. Funny thing is I tried a STD 12volt bulb in its place and it won't light at all. Can anyone steer me in the right direction.
Dale M.

Re: Alternator replacement issue

Post by Dale M. »

Found this diagram... Seems you might be on right track but missing 12 volts on IG lead from ignition switch "on/start"...

And this one...

Would appear to me by bottom diagram, that ..

L - Goes to lamp.
IG- Is "return" from lamp (with 12 volts from ignition "ON" on this lead)..
B- To battery (or main power feed)...

Diagram indicates to me the indicator is incandescent lamp, not LED (do not know what is correct here) ... Disclaimer: this is just my interpretation of diagram...

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
stantheman

Post by stantheman »

Many thanks Dale...bottom drawing is diagram I was going by. I'll have another crack today.

Cheers
stantheman

Post by stantheman »

Problem seems sorted...ran an extra wire and did away with the LED light. Light now goes out so assume everything is working as it should. Thanks again.
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Check voltage across battery to verify alternator is working.... You should see a voltage rise to approximate 14 to 15 volts across battery if alternator is operational vs 12.5 to 13+ volts with engine off....

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
stantheman

Post by stantheman »

Ok...Thanks again Dale