How to hook up eberspacher

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
crvc

How to hook up eberspacher

Post by crvc »

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u63 ... ff5ba1.jpg

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u63 ... e6e820.jpg

I found a B2 Eberspacher on ebay. The seller says it works but needs a fuel pump. I have an electric that doesn't need a regulator. There are some wires kinda hanging from the unit. I can't tell what wire to put where. I can't find and color schematics. These are the wires:

Two green wires in a harness, about 4 ft long.

A red wire and a blue wire in a harness about 2 ft long.

A brown wire about 1 ft long

A red wire about 2 inches long, hanging off a connector.

A red/white wire about 3 inches long with a female plug at the end.

I saw a utube video where a guy hooked one up to a car battery out in the yard. I can do that but hate to put the wrong wire somewhere that damages the unit.

TIA for any suggestions,

kevin
Dale M.

Re: How to hook up eberspacher

Post by Dale M. »

"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
crvc

Post by crvc »

Thanks. I've seen the same paperwork on Samba. There's a b2 wiring diagram that's close but not perfect. Plus it's for a 6 volt. I may have to experiment a bit. It shows a pull switch that gets 12 volts from the car's fuse box. Then there's one brown, one green, one red and one yellow wire all connecting to the pull switch. I assume the brown wires means ground.

kevin
luftvagon

Post by luftvagon »

I'd love to make a more modern controller for the Eberspacher.... maybe with couple of temperature probes and relays, you can do it...
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

yeah i was planning the same for my BN4, it didn't come with the stat so either ON..... or OFF i was going to put an ON/OFF switch linked to a settable state off ebay to turn it on and off to hold my set temp :) sounds do able!
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I'm unfamiliar with the B2, but the thermostat on a BN4 is a simple normally closed bimetallic thermostat switch.
The BN4 is unlike the earlier units due to its ability to duty cycle throttle, the reliable HV ignition circuit also with integrated glow plug allows this.

The thermostat pretty much just shuts off the fuel pump, although I suspect the glow plug kicks on, I have not checked it that close.

The main issue I had with my late BN2 was that it has no fuel cutoff valve, and tended to slowly fill up and drip fuel if there was the slightest pressure in the fuel tank or any possibility of gravity feed. It eventually melted its fan due to filling up with fuel and catching on fire. (This despite reworking the fuel tank emissions vent back to factory and verifying it worked properly on several occasions)

The Hardi fuel pumps work ~like a clacker pump and continuously provide fuel, but at a very low pressure, they are self limiting and stop cycling when they reach their design pressure (don't know the spec)

The later Eberspacher and other fuel heater designs use a "metering pump" that fires a tiny adjustable (but fixed) volume of fuel every so many rotations of the heaters fan... they also have a pressure regulator and fuel cutoff assy.

The combination of the latter features makes it much safer, largely self regulating and far more reliable.

When I return my BN2 back to service it will have an RPM triggered fuel pump and cutoff valve, at least.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

luftvagon wrote:I'd love to make a more modern controller for the Eberspacher.... maybe with couple of temperature probes and relays, you can do it...

Look for a BN6 (I think thats the designation) came in 411/412 cars. It has an in- body T-stat in the heater channel that maintains heat setting. It comes with high limit switches. Setting for heat from a dial on the dash...thermostatically controlled. Has engine shut down cooling cycle and a 10 minute car pre-heat timer for morning starts.

Also if you get lucky and find one of the 411/412/ghia 24 hour dash clock timers you can simply dial in what hour you want it to start to pre-heat the car. Ray