chris4747 alternator

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
Chris4747

chris4747 alternator

Post by Chris4747 »

Hey guys and gals, Sorry ive been away for a few months .I had to put my build on hold due to lack of funds but thankfully uncle sam is gonna send me a big fat check in a few weeks and i can continue with my life long dream LOL.
I have an issue with witch you can help ,please.I want to change the generator to an alternator on my 1914 cc but im not sure what to buy .I dont know if I need a 55 ,75,or 90 amp alternator .electrical is not something that i do a lot with .Im gong to use headlights and taillights from another new model car and im going to add a 3rd brake light i also need power for
radio
dash lights 5-6ea
windsheild wipers
converter for 110 tiny aircompressor
small exterior running lights (viser over top of windsheild)
Thanks for the help Chris

Dale M.

Re: chris4747 alternator

Post by Dale M. »

You will be upping system from a 30 amp generator to a alternator.... A 55 amp alternator is almost double what generator puts out...... Think the 55 amp alternator is sufficient to do what you want to do....

Dale
Last edited by Dale M. on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
Marc

Post by Marc »

I agree with Dale. A stock 55A unit should be fine unless you plan to go with HID headlamps.
I recommend that you increase the size of the B+ wire (or simply add another one from the alternator to the starter B+ stud).

I have a little Ryobi inflator that runs directly on 12V; the newer models come with a worklamp, too. Works well, cost little.
You probably lose ~1/3 of the power as heat in converting to 110V, and if your inverter isn't big enough it may trip under load before you can fill a tire.
Chris4747

Post by Chris4747 »

thanks guys
instant gratification by hard work and determination granted by GODS hands