Faulty indicators - how to fix?

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
petew

Faulty indicators - how to fix?

Post by petew »

Got me a 1956 oval yesterday. Mostly original paint, no rust. Cool bit of kit, but the wiring is ATROSCIOUS. I mean a blind monkey with no thumbs with only two shovels and blender as tools could have done a better job. Exposed solder joints, dodgy joints, etc. It's a real mess. Took it out for the first drive today and sure enough, the pasenger side indicator went on the fritz and stopped working.

I pulled the switch apart when I got home and in the end discovered this...

The drivers indicator works fine although the flashing is a little slow and out of time if you get my meaning. The passenger side front indicator comes on, but does not flash. The rear light does not work and the light in the speedo does not flash either.

I assume it's a bad earth but I'm wondering how to trace it. Any ideas be highly appreciated.
Dale M.

Re: Faulty indicators - how to fix?

Post by Dale M. »

I would start at rear lamp that does not work... Clean shell and center contact of lamp socket and also check how socket assembly is grounded through tail lamp assembly to fender....

Most time hunting problems with grounds is a matter of cleaning any contact point (to bare metal) and reassembly and maybe using some sort of dialectic grease on contact area to prevent rust/corrosion in future...

Also check wire coming to rear socket with either a test lamp or meter to be sure wire actual has continuity from switch to rear of bug..

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
Marc

Post by Marc »

Most flashers are load-sensitive and will either not flash or will flash super-fast when a bulb's out (a good thing, since it makes you aware of the problem from the driver's seat). Dale's right, start by getting the rear to work (pre`62 taillights are notorious for problems with that silly ground contact) - all I have to add is that when troubleshooting turn signals it's often helpful to bypass the flasher temporarily so there's steady power available...put it back in the circuit only after the lamps all are working nice & bright.
petew

Post by petew »

The turn signals are actually rear bumper mounted motorcycle turn signals but yes, I think your impression about bad earths is true.
petew

Post by petew »

gr... stupid turn signal is corroded and won't undo. I'm pretty sure it's a bulb or similar. It's getting a good voltage supply.