Perplex and at a loss of this problem

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
sagaboy

Perplex and at a loss of this problem

Post by sagaboy »

My friend said his VW meter lights are not working and I just cut the wire from the meter lights going to the dimmer lamp switch (tape up the wire end at the dimmer switch) and connect the other end directly to the fused tag for the head lamp pilot lamp and it worked--when ever he pull the dimmer lamp switch to run the rear and front pilot lamp the meter lamp lights up.
BUT
after a couple of days he said the fuse blew and he remove the wire for the meter lamp and replace the fuse but both the rear tail lamp fail to light-up but the front pilot lamp was working.
Then
I connect the meter lamp wire to the head lamp pilot lamp tag on the fuse panel then the pilot lamp stop working but all fuse intact. I remove the meter lamps together with the holder, wired it up and connect it directly to the battery and they work fine.
AND now...
on the fuse panel, there are no voltage supply before and after the fuse for the rear lamp and front head lamp pilot lamp.

It is a simple circuit, voltage to to the head lamp dimmer switch and with the first pull of the switch voltage are supplied to the rear tail lamp, meter lamp and head lamp pilot lamp (the main head lamp is working at the second stage).

I suspect that the head lamp switch is faulty thereby no voltage output and I intend to connect the meter lamp, tail lamp and headlamp pilot lamp to a toggle switch to solve the problem.

Any suggestions.
sagaboy

Re: Perplex and at a loss of this problem

Post by sagaboy »

Spend an entire day replacing the 12 fused panel with a new one (original ones still available), re-crimp every wire and trace each wire to its source.

The problems are due to:
1. Someone reverse the wire connection to the headlamp parking light at the end of the headlamp housing section (positive to ground and ground to the parking lamp socket), why the fuse that supply power didn't blow whenever the headlamp switch is pulled is a mystery. Why and how the parking lamp light-up whenever the headlight switch was pulled earlier is another mystery.

2. Why did the headlamp parking lamp stop working?--Because the single wire that supply the power from the headlamp switch to the rear left/right tail lamp, number plate lamp and the front left/right headlamp parking light is missing (that explains why the fuse didn't blow but does not explain why they were working earlier without blowing the fuse). How it got missing is a mystery because all those lamps was working earlier. Have not yet remove the headlamp switch to trace this particular missing wire. (The headlights Hi/Lo are working when the switch is pulled to the 2nd position--this indicates that power input and output are OK).

After pulling a power supply wire via a toggle switch as a temporary measure to the fuse box as replacement for the missing wire--all the lamps are working fine, tail lamps, number plate lamp, front left/right headlamp parking lamps and speedometer lamps--BUT...

3. Only one rear tail lamp is working, the other tail lamp have no power supply at all and I can find only a SINGLE wire to the rear tail lamp from the fuse box for this 1970 1200 model (my 1975 model have 2 wires--one each for left and right). So, I assume that somehow the T-join to the other tail lamp must be an open circuit inside the firewall compartment and will be removing the firewall for inspection.

So far so good, the missing power supply wire from the headlamp switch should be there after the switch is removed for inspection :) Hopefully, by tomorrow, everything should be in order.
sagaboy

Re: Perplex and at a loss of this problem

Post by sagaboy »

Solved: Failed tail lamp solved--Removed the side-wall firewall and found the right tail light came off its connection.

Solved: No speedo lamp, no left/right tail lamp, no front parking light and no plate light--the wire from the headlamp pull switch came out of its socket at both end (fused supply end and pull switch end), have to remove the front air input/water outlet scoop to access the headlamp switch.

Solved: Erratic no headlamp, speedo light, tail lights, parking lights, plate lights--it is due to the FAULTY headlamp pull switch--that work off and on. Replaced the headlamp pull switch, all problem gone.