Type 1 Wiper Switch Type 3 Wiper Motor

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
Marvel

Type 1 Wiper Switch Type 3 Wiper Motor

Post by Marvel »

I'm currently building a kit car based on a Beetle but uses a Type 3 wiper motor to get the wider spacing and extra length of the wipers. The Beetle switch I'm using is a two speed one as is the wiper motor. I can get it to work on the bench but can't it to park correctly. The wiper motor has black, black/yellow, black/grey and green wire plus an earth tab on the gearbox. The switch has terminals 30, 31, 31b, 53, 53a and 53b terminals. If I connect positive to 30, negative to 31 and the gearbox, black to 53, black/ yellow to 53b I get two speeds but I can't get it to park no matter where I connect the green and black/grey. Anyone done this? Is it possible?
Marc

Re: Type 1 Wiper Switch Type 3 Wiper Motor

Post by Marc »

You're trying to get a dash-mounted switch to work with a motor that's wired for the column-mounted switch. The motors themselves are the same, but the wiring through the park switch in the transmission was rearranged to the waterpumper configuration which supports the interval relay. Easy answer for you would be to find an earlier Type III assembly. You should also be able to swap in a motor from a `70/`71 Beetle or `71 Super by simply changing the bellcrank, or you can rearrange the wiring on the motor you've got. Details of the two layouts are at Speedy Jim's site:
http://www.speedyjim.net/htm/elec.htm

Back when the `70/`71 motors became obsolete, VW furnished the `72-up motor as the replacement part. An instruction sheet was enclosed that detailed the wiring conversion necessary, but I never had to do it and unfortunately didn't save one...but evidently it is possible.
Marvel

Post by Marvel »

Thanks for the reply. I'd found the wiring diagrams and descriptions on Speedy Jims site but still can't make the mis-matched motor and switch work together. Any idea where I can get a copy of the VW conversion?
Marvel

Post by Marvel »

Looks like this
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... highlight=
addresses the same problem as mine so will try adding a relay as described.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Marvel wrote:...Any idea where I can get a copy of the VW conversion?
If I did, I would've made a sticky out of it long ago. I don't recall the specifics of VW's wiring conversion instructions, but I think I'd remember if it required a relay. Seems like a pragmatic solution, though - be sure to let us know how it works out.