where to connect the electric fuel pump

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.

Moderator: 2088 bob

JHHeiger

where to connect the electric fuel pump

Post by JHHeiger » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:41 am

On the ignition so it only runs when the engine is on, or to the battery through a switch?

Dale M.

Re: where to connect the electric fuel pump

Post by Dale M. » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:53 am

JHHeiger wrote:On the ignition so it only runs when the engine is on, or to the battery through a switch?
Minimally--- through ignition switch so it only runs while ignition is on.... Might want to consider using a relay so pump does not load ignition switch with more "current" (amps) may also what to consider some sort of "control circuit " so if engine stalls or car is in accident and engine quits, pump does not continue to run ans possibly be spraying fuel all over accident scene...

Might want to consider something like this... Its a relay and an safety switch....

http://revolutionelectronics.com/Fuel_Pump.html

Having pump on separate switch is something you always have to remember to turn on or off EVERY TIME you run car, after a time you will learn to hate it... Only consolation is it makes good anti-theft device....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"

Theo

Post by Theo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:06 pm

I connected the FP to the battery using a relay that works with the key. It also has a dash switch with a relay to allow for emergency manual cut of. I have not wired in the impact switch to shut down on impact.

So the key has to be on and the switch for the FP to run.

I have noticed the FP pulls some amps and I did end up running a dedicated circuit for it.

Marc

Post by Marc » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:58 pm

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=114905

My current daily driver is set up with a tachometric relay from a CIS Rabbit; previously I've used relays controlled by the generator/alternator output. Not the only ways to go, but two which have never given me any trouble.

tattooed_pariah

Post by tattooed_pariah » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:39 pm

I ran a wire from an always hot circuit to a 25amp blade fuse, to a toggle switch, to a relay..

My "reminder" (as if the sound of a Holley Red spinning isn't enough..) is the power lead from that relay splits, one side to my pump, the other side to another fuse that powers some of those stupid stick on led strips.. guys in my club say the inside of my car looks like a cheap brothel when it's on because there are two foot long strips of red led's under my dash :P
-pariah

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.

1972 VolksRod Build Thread