Buzzing sound from speedometer on start up and braking

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
bugged13

Buzzing sound from speedometer on start up and braking

Post by bugged13 »

Lately my 69 has been making a buzzing sound from the speedometer and the radio goes out when I start the car, once i start driving the buzzing stops and the radio comes on. It makes the same noise, the radio goes out, and the speedometer warning lights come on when I push the brake. Then when I use the turn signal the radio cuts out and the speedometer warning lights come on. WTH?! Please help it is driving me crazy!!!
Marc

Re: Buzzing sound from speedometer on start up and braking

Post by Marc »

There's nothing in a `69 that should "buzz" (`70 was the first year of the ignition-key buzzer) so perhaps you've got a high-resistance point somewhere that's causing odd symptoms.
I'd start by checking that the first two fuses closest to the steering column are clean and making good contact.
It sounds as though your radio is wired so that it turns on & off with the ignition switch, which isn't the "normal" way it's done in a Bug (dealers normally connected them to the fuse at the other end of the box, which is "hot" all the time).
From the factory, there was no fuse protection for the warning lamp cluster at the base of the speedo so since they're involved in your symptom it would seem that the problem is further upstream (perhaps in the ignition switch itself) but when working on a 40-year-old car one must keep an open mind - someone may have rearranged a few things by now.
Here's the wiring diagram that covers most `69 Bugs:
http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/bug-68+69.jpg
Look for any loose/dirty connections, concentrating on the black/mostly black wires going to & from those first two fuses.
bugged13

Post by bugged13 »

thanks! the buzzing was coming from my relay...I replaced it....but...

I replaced relay and the buzzing sound is gone! However, now when the key is in the first on position the turn signal indicator light flashes until the car is started and the gen light does not come on. And it gets crazier! When I press the brake pedal the indicator light flashes and the gen light comes on! HELP!!! Also my brake lights aren't working...UGH!!!
Marc

Post by Marc »

Nothing here to change my original advice. You've eliminated one symptom, but the disease remains.

It's possible that there's a problem with the stoplight switch wiring, has any work been done around the master cylinder lately? The diagram I linked above doesn't cover late `69s with the two, 3-prong switch arrangement - if yours has that refer to this one:
http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/Type_1 ... t_1969.jpg
Details of the stoplight switch wiring:
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/SCHEM/2brake.gif

If your car came with the early arrangement (three 2-prong switches) and the master cylinder's been replaced with the later style, either the wiring must be modified or the dashboard warning light feature abandoned.
bugged13 wrote:I was having a buzzing coming from my relay...I replaced relay and the buzzing sound is gone! However, now when the key is in the first on position the turn signal indicator light flashes until the car is started and the gen light does not come on. And it gets crazier! When I press the brake pedal the indicator light flashes and the gen light comes on! HELP!!! Also my brake lights aren't working...UGH!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry:
SCOTTRODS wrote:...Clean up all your grounds..... No need to cry. Maybe sweat a little,.. but crying is not on the agenda. Use your Bentley Diagram and locate and clean 'em all up. Also take a few minutes and clean up all the connectors for the fuses under the dash. I know I've had some strange occurrences from bad connections due to corroded fuses and holders.
Jim Ed wrote:Check your ground wire connections first.
You might need new brake light switches. Mine go bad after about every three years.
This isn't really likely to be a "ground" problem, it looks more like a poor connection on the ignition-switched power side. Note that the three lamps in the cluster at the bottom of the speedo receive power (from the ignition switch) to their shells and illuminate when a path to ground is provided at their bottom contact - via the oil pressure sender, for example. The charging system warning light compares the power available to it from the ignition switch to what it's getting from the generator/alternator and lights if there's a significant difference in either direction - the charging system can be working fine, but if the voltage on the shell side of the lamp is drawn down (by the load of a short in the stoplight switch wiring, perhaps) it'll light up.