Stupid lgen light question

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
bajaherbie

Re: Stupid lgen light question

Post by bajaherbie »

just put a bit of duct tape on the light, problem solved...
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
Turbo_Manx_Maniac

Post by Turbo_Manx_Maniac »

bajaherbie wrote:just put a bit of duct tape on the light, problem solved...
Unless you use glow in the dark duct tape. :shock:
I accidentally Googled my Twitter. (And I liked it)
birddog1148

Post by birddog1148 »

I havn't had time to check much lately but I havn't had to charge the batt for two weeks and driving it every day. Two days to work in the dark with lights on. Thanks for all the advise so far. But I am using my deep cycle trolling motor batt.
birddog1148

Post by birddog1148 »

When I disconect the blue wire at the alt the light goes out. There is a noticeable, but just barely dimming of the light when the car is running vs not. I cant figure it out! :evil: :x There is no AC from the B+ I get 12 v when the car is running on the D+ and nothing when its not. ARGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH :x :x :x :x :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :x :x :x :x
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

birddog1148 wrote:When I disconect the blue wire at the alt the light goes out. There is a noticeable, but just barely dimming of the light when the car is running vs not. I cant figure it out! :evil: :x There is no AC from the B+ I get 12 v when the car is running on the D+ and nothing when its not. ARGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH :x :x :x :x :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :x :x :x :x

Put your multimeter on DC. If the light is out the alternator will not put out.
birddog1148

Post by birddog1148 »

Leatherneck wrote:
birddog1148 wrote:When I disconect the blue wire at the alt the light goes out. There is a noticeable, but just barely dimming of the light when the car is running vs not. I cant figure it out! :evil: :x There is no AC from the B+ I get 12 v when the car is running on the D+ and nothing when its not. ARGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH :x :x :x :x :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :x :x :x :x

Put your multimeter on DC. If the light is out the alternator will not put out.
I did that, with the light on there is 12 v when the engine is running, nothing when its not, Disconect the wire and nothing at the alt. with the light on and the wire conected 14 v at the B+
disconect the wire and test for continuity on the wire to ground nothing.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I am reaching here but have you checked your ground, engine and alt?
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

I thought the generator light got power from the dash and key and grounded through the generator until the generator started producing voltage the 2 voltages canceled each other out turning off the light. so shouldn’t you be able to ground the wire at the generator and the light on the dash should go on that tests that side that would also test the wire to the light and as long as the generator is putting out right or can light the light with the key side grounded. Am I close or way of base :idea:
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

ajdenette wrote:I thought the generator light got power from the dash and key and grounded through the generator until the generator started producing voltage the 2 voltages canceled each other out turning off the light. so shouldn’t you be able to ground the wire at the generator and the light on the dash should go on that tests that side that would also test the wire to the light and as long as the generator is putting out right or can light the light with the key side grounded. Am I close or way of base :idea:

Do you mean alternator?
birddog1148

Post by birddog1148 »

ajdenette wrote:I thought the generator light got power from the dash and key and grounded through the generator until the generator started producing voltage the 2 voltages canceled each other out turning off the light. so shouldn’t you be able to ground the wire at the generator and the light on the dash should go on that tests that side that would also test the wire to the light and as long as the generator is putting out right or can light the light with the key side grounded. Am I close or way of base :idea:
The light goes out when I disconect the wire at the alt. It also quits charging when I do that. The car has a generator light but a later externaly regulated alternator.

'69 car
'74 engine and alt
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

:oops: yes I had alternator but in editing it assumed he had a generator on his older bug. If that is the case you need to find your missing keyed 12 volts that the alternator is supposed to cancel out.that will cause the lightto go out and the generator to charge.
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
birddog1148

Post by birddog1148 »

ajdenette wrote::oops: yes I had alternator but in editing it assumed he had a generator on his older bug. If that is the case you need to find your missing keyed 12 volts that’s the alternator is supposed to cancel out.
That little tab jumper thing at the bottom of the gauge? there is 12 volts there
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

birddog1148 wrote:
ajdenette wrote::oops: yes I had alternator but in editing it assumed he had a generator on his older bug. If that is the case you need to find your missing keyed 12 volts that’s the alternator is supposed to cancel out.
That little tab jumper thing at the bottom of the gauge? there is 12 volts there

I think he is talking about your switch (key) what post on the switch is the alternator wire going to? Want this to go to the Electrical forum?
birddog1148

Post by birddog1148 »

Leatherneck wrote:
birddog1148 wrote:

I think he is talking about your switch (key) what post on the switch is the alternator wire going to? Want this to go to the Electrical forum?
Sure they may help better. The gauge shows it charging when the light is on.
And why is Herbie shunned now? :shock:
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Alternator light --- Generator light --- >>>> all wire the same... So deep discussion is moot....

1. If lamp has 12 volts at dash panel and you remove lead and ground LAMP lead (at regulator or alternator) lamp should light (key on - engine not running) .

2. If you disconnect lamp lead at alt/gen and lamp goes out that is correct ( engine not running but key on) ...

IF both the above functions happen "IDIOT" lamp circuit is good.... IF lamp does not go out when "system" is charging, the problem is in regulator, either internal ALT regulator for BOSCH AL82 , external ALT regulator as for BOSCH or MOTOROLA AL78 or regulator for GENERATOR...

NOTE there are a lot of ALTERNATORS that need to hit about 3000 rpm to "trip into charge mode" at initial start up... Specially if you are using 'power pulley'... Once this this happens charge lamp indications should be "normal"...

Only other concern may be wrong size (current rating) of IDIOT lamp...

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"