pertronix info

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
monkslayer

pertronix info

Post by monkslayer »

Good people of shoptalk...i am thinking of discarding the points and heading the pertronix direction..my distributor is a JFUD 4, 0 231 168 015.My carburator is a 30 pict 3 and my engine is a stock 1600sp.Could anyone tell me which pertronix model i should get.so far i see 1847 and 1847a...Which should i get?what gains/drawbacks should i expect...what about the magfire and compufire i have also heard about?which one is the best?THANKS.
Clonebug

Re: pertronix info

Post by Clonebug »

Just make sure you hook the wires up the right way!!!

Or you will have 95 bucks worth of junk..

Don't ask me how I know. :oops:

After burning mine up I refused to spend that much on ignition when you would be half way to Megasquirt and Edis.
Points work fine.. .you just have to check them once in a while.

Clonebug
Last edited by Clonebug on Mon May 02, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2088 bob

Post by 2088 bob »

Go with the pertronix but heed the comment about the correct connections
My pertronix unit is now 15 years old has never missed a beat ............... the only thing better than checking your points once in a while .............. is not ever having to check your points ..............and lets not forget no points bounce , and lastly just being able to now forget completely about that part of your ignition system
VW_Man_87

Post by VW_Man_87 »

but incase keep a set of points and condenser in the glovebox incase you have a failure with the pertronix. ive seen them lose the magnets
im in need of a new front clip for my 74 ghia, i dont care what year its from but i need one in order to fix my front end, can anyone help out?