Cheap Bus Taillight Problem.

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
Left Handed Kennedy

Cheap Bus Taillight Problem.

Post by Left Handed Kennedy »

OK, I've been having this problem with the brake lights on my 78 Bus. When I apply the brakes, the running lights, license plate light and reverse lights all come on. This is only during the day when the headlights aren't on. The bus has been completely rewired using the Watson Streetworks VW kit and I have gone over it multiple times trying to find a crossed connection. Nothing.

What I'm thinking is that the cheap taillights I bought from an online vendor is the only common connection. Could the power be bleeding to the other wires through the metal housing?

I'm Stumped and any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
78 VW Bus- Squirted and rewired (Watson Streetworks)
Left Handed Kennedy

Re: Cheap Bus Taillight Problem.

Please, anyone? Anyone got an idea?
DWP

Post by DWP »

if it changes when the headlights are on I would check the wiring at the relay first. Second make sure all the grounds are good. I have had crazy problems with a boat trailer because of bad grounds.
take a look here
http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/rewi ... e_tip.html
you can always call them, the have a good reputation of helping.
DWP
Stray Catalyst

Post by Stray Catalyst »

It sounds like a ground problem, as DWP said. Taillights are notorious for that. Have you cleaned up the grounds when you rewired it?

Stray
DWP

Post by DWP »

another idea
unplug both tail lights and see if you still have the problem. If you do look up front.
if not it"s the lights.
DWP
As i tell my son, waste money on cars not Girls.
You can always sell the Car.
Marc

Post by Marc »

You didn't say what happens when the brakes are applied with the parking lamps on - I suspect the rear lights go dim then.
If you connect a jumper from the lamp housing to a good ground you'll find the symptom disappears - it's the "classic" bad-ground problem. Stock, the car had dedicated ground wires to the housings which you've evidently omitted - hook some up and all will be well.

A similar symptom can arise if the incorrect lamps are installed (single-pin bulbs in double-pin sockets) but I doubt you've done that.
Left Handed Kennedy

Thank you for the responses. I will check the grounds at the taillights, I know I put them in, mabe they came loose. AAMOF I will check all the grounds again.
When the lights are on, everything works as it should except there are no turn indicators on the front. The front seems to burn very bright though...

On a completely unrelated topic, am I correct in thinking that a 3v LED wired in a series of 4 would work as an interior light? I got this crazy idea of using those fake candles as interior light.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Left Handed Kennedy wrote:...When the lights are on, everything works as it should except there are no turn indicators on the front. The front seems to burn very bright though...
Hmmm, the plot thickens. Bad grounds in the rear would make the taillamps go out when the brakes were applied - if that's not a symptom, perhaps the problem's elsewhere.
From the description at Watson's web page their VW harness product should be compatible with the stock `72-up bus turnsignal switch, which would lead me to suspect there's a problem in the hazard switch wiring....assuming again that you've the correct bulbs in the front as well.
Left Handed Kennedy

Ah, the old hazard switch. I never thought of that (derp).. I will take a look and keep the topic updated.
sharkskinman

Post by sharkskinman »

led strips inside the lens
wired directly is the siimplest and cheapest

you can get 12v
led strips for a mere buck or 2