Electrical Connectors

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
david58

Electrical Connectors

Post by david58 »

Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Glenn

Re: Electrical Connectors

Post by Glenn »

I like the OE style of open barrel connectors.

Turbinepowered

Post by Turbinepowered »

I do too, I just wish I could find them! I found most of them, just not all of them...
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Great links. I have scoured my local area and all that anyone carries is the cheap auto connectors available everywhere. All you have to do is put one on to start feeling fishy about the connection. I guess sending off is the only way for most of us.

Glenn, besides just being old school in nature like me, why the preference of a non-insulated connector? Seems like connector technology and cosmetics must have made some advancements in 75 years? Is there a better way?

How about soldered vs unsoldered connections? Any real difference?

doc
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

doc wrote:

doc
Oh my.... Don't let Ray Greenwood see this question.....

I think the plus for the "open barrel connector" is quality of crimp on actual conductor and the fact the additional crimp to grasp insulation and acts as sort of strain relief for actual conductor to terminal connection..... Also in production scenarios, its easier to do robo connections (crimps) than to do all solder connections....

Also no matter of its open barrel crimps or the standard (most available) barrel terminals it all has to do with the the tools.... IF you don't have proper tool (crimper) for terminal type even the best quality terminal is next to worthless.....

The above crimper's are pretty much junk.......

The above seems to be accepted crimper for "open barrel connectors"...

The above ratchet style with replaceable dies ( for wire size terminal type) are best for insulated and non insulated barrel terminals....

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Dale M. wrote:
doc wrote:

doc
Oh my.... Don't let Ray Greenwood see this question.....

I think the plus for the "open barrel connector" is quality of crimp on actual conductor and the fact the additional crimp to grasp insulation and acts as sort of strain relief for actual conductor to terminal connection..... Also in production scenarios, its easier to do robo connections (crimps) than to do all solder connections....

Also no matter of its open barrel crimps or the standard (most available) barrel terminals it all has to do with the the tools.... IF you don't have proper tool (crimper) for terminal type even the best quality terminal is next to worthless.....

The above crimper's are pretty much junk.......

The above seems to be accepted crimper for "open barrel connectors"...

The above ratchet style with replaceable dies ( for wire size terminal type) are best for insulated and non insulated barrel terminals....

Dale

:D no worries! Everything you noted is pretty much spot on! (except for the solder part 8) )

I would add to that....that crimping is a pretty high technology. By that I mean that its been very well worked out. The tools are so worked out and readily avilable for proper compound crimping that its been reduced to a fairly simnple task.
It has been found that proper crimping with proper tools and pressure creates a gas-tight seal between connector and wire strand bundle. Also...it essentially compresses the wire strand cross section into a solid . It removes all air and moisture...so no corrosion or wire tarnish can happen. Ray
Yes....they sit around in labs load testing, age testing, heat testing and then sectioning crimped wires and connectors.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

doc wrote:Glenn, besides just being old school in nature like me, why the preference of a non-insulated connector? Seems like connector technology and cosmetics must have made some advancements in 75 years? Is there a better way?

doc
For me it's Old School... they worked for years and still do. I have the original harness in my 74.

A good friend worked on F14s and they crimped the connectors on. If you have the right tool, then it's more secure than soldered. Also the open barrel has two crimps, one is the electrical and the second secured the terminal to the insulator.