What flasher unit

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
Chip Birks

What flasher unit

Post by Chip Birks »

Well, after building 4 or 5 prototype LED taillight assemblies for my 60 bug, I think I finally got it right. They are nice and bright, perform all correct functions and look pretty dang cool. The only problem that I'm finding is that they just don't blink very fast when the turn signal is activated. I've heard that totally electric(the real name escapes me at the moment) flasher relay will do the job. So the question that I have is, what relay do I buy? The car has been converted to 12v. I put a three prong relay in it to replace the 6v 3 prong one that I took out, but it only uses 2 of the prongs now. So do I purchase a 2 prong style or a 3 prong style when I buy the new one? I'll get picks of the new lights up when I can, I'd like to hear what you think of them. Thanks,
Chip
Speedy Jim

Post by Speedy Jim »

Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

A TRIDON EL12 (two prong - 12 volt) or a EL13 (3 prong - 12 volt) will flash "lamps" (LED) down to as little as .250ma (1/4 amp) draw.... About equivalent to a side marker light on trailer or "test probe" lamp.... I have successfully used it with single stop/turn 4 inch round LED "trailer" style lamp assemblies using either the 44 led assemblies or with the 23 LED assembly that typically draw around .330 ma (3/10 AMP).... On friends buggy they successfully flash the TECHNO-STALIGA (Cool LEDS) 39 Ford style teardrops in either of their modes...

Best part is they are available most any where for about $12....

http://www.mydune-buggy.com/forum/viewt ... f=17&t=145

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Well I bought one at Autozone for 10 bucks. It definitely flashes faster. Now I feel like a "ricer" with my super fast flashing signals. I'm guessing the flasher is kind of going into a safe mode, thinking that there is only one light in the circuit, when in reality, both are there, and functioning perfectly. Is there a way to add a little extra load in order to trick it into thinking that there are two incandescent bulbs in the circuit. This is exactly what I was trying to avoid, oh well.
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

I don't think adding load is going to make it slower.... Usually more load actually makes flashers faster.... Usually just getting a flasher that will work with LEDS is getting over main hurdle..... I think about only way to change speed is going to be opening up unit and change size (capacity) of capacitor inside that seems to control the "rate" by how long it takes to charge....

Dale
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Wonderful...Oh well. Thanks for the info.
Chip
Chip Birks

Re: What flasher unit

Post by Chip Birks »

I figured it out! All I had to do was help the switch get out of its burned out bulb, turbo flash mode. I simply cut the trace that sends it into safe mode and shazam! it gave me a nicely paced blinker, even with my LED snowflake tail lights!
IMG_1296 (800x600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Chip Birks wrote:I figured it out! All I had to do was help the switch get out of its burned out bulb, turbo flash mode. I simply cut the trace that sends it into safe mode and shazam! it gave me a nicely paced blinker, even with my LED snowflake tail lights!
IMG_1296 (800x600).jpg
And what brand/model flasher is that?

Dale
VW_Man_87

Post by VW_Man_87 »

Dale M. wrote:
Chip Birks wrote:I figured it out! All I had to do was help the switch get out of its burned out bulb, turbo flash mode. I simply cut the trace that sends it into safe mode and shazam! it gave me a nicely paced blinker, even with my LED snowflake tail lights!
IMG_1296 (800x600).jpg
And what brand/model flasher is that?

Dale
x2, is that a stock flasher? i would like to get mine out of the super flash mode also, lol....

this is my flasher

Jeremy
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Mine is a Blazer EF35 from Autozone. $9.99.
VW_Man_87

Post by VW_Man_87 »

would there be anyway to get a pic of your ic chip the small rectangular piece with 8 pins, i might be able to figure mine out by that
im in need of a new front clip for my 74 ghia, i dont care what year its from but i need one in order to fix my front end, can anyone help out?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I don't want to go pull it out, but from the one pic that I have, I can see that the half circle divot in the end of the chip faces the three prong external connector. I shouldn't be too hard to figure it out from there.
IMG_1297 (800x600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
david58

Post by david58 »

Nice work.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.