exploding fan belts!

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
rsrnate

exploding fan belts!

Post by rsrnate »

The last time i raced my 68 bug at willow springs I had a real bad time trying to keep a fanbelt on the darn thing :? The fanblet would be fine until I realy got too excited and would downshift when I was already at 6,000 rpm and kaboom the fanbelt would disapeer with the biggest pieces that i could find of it only about an inch long. This has been happening since i built this motor and started road-racing. I changed the upper pulley to a new german one and tried all diffrent brands of fanbelts and the continentals would last about two 20 minute sessions before they would explode and disapeer, the rest of them all sucked and i was lucky to get one good session out of them before they would flip over or fly off. I picked up an old 5 1/4 cb power pulley from a friend and put a new continental belt on it and it has stayed on :twisted: I beat on the car for a week before taking it to auto-x to make sure that i would not have problems and all is well. The pulley that came off was a Gene Berg stock sized equalizer. When i race or drive on the freeway my rpm,s rarely drop below 4,000 and with my gearing and sidewall height it now cools better so long as i keep it at or above 4,000 :D
yeahmag

Post by yeahmag »

Nate,

Did you ever look at the alignment between the old pully and the alternator?

I'm actually ready to start final assembly of my motor this week!

-Aaron
Mark H

Post by Mark H »

Thats what Power pulleys are for. I can rarely keep a belt on a stock pulley the way I drive. I have power pulleys on everything :-)

Lost belts

Post by Guest »

Would our serpentine belt system solve your problem?
www.bmdpulleys.com