Shocks

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
73notch

Shocks

Post by 73notch »

shocks
im not that intelligent when it comes to shocks. im upgrading to larger torsion bars and i read that better shocks will be mandatory. right now i only have gr2's all round.

can you guys make some suggestions on some decent and affordable gas shocks?

i was thinking gas a just ones but i read in another post that they dont have a good rebound.

thanks alot!
rsrnate

Post by rsrnate »

I used to run gasadjust and they served me well but they cant keep up with upgraded torsion bars,race slicks,high cornering loads. I got a set of billstiens for all four corners and it helped my lap times by about 1 second at willow springs. The front was less bouncy and the rear was more stable when going into turn one at 90. They made the car feel better so i was able to push it harder. You should come out and auto-x your car :wink:
Aurumen

Post by Aurumen »

get some koni's. They're very good and not horribly expensive at about 95 bucks each. Bilsteins are similarly priced, but do not offer manual adjustment. Like being able to change my rebound rate.
rsrnate

Post by rsrnate »

just my opinion but i like the valving of the billstiens better than the koni's. the koni is an oil filled shock and the billstien is a gas shock, this helps to keep the shock from overheating and foaming. The koni's were desined as a good shock that was adjustable so that as they got old you could just turn it up to the next stiffest setting.
Aurumen

Post by Aurumen »

I don't know about the ones you have seen, but my koni shocks are gas charged as well.
rsrnate

Post by rsrnate »

the ones i have used are red and you callapse them all the way then turn to select the stiffness, they do make a koni yello race gas shock for the back of a 944 that we can use on the bugs but i have never used them.
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

I've got those 944 Koni yellows on the back of my car. The mounting eyes are bigger than Bug ones so you have to eliminate the washers or get longer bolts. Other than that they fit well and ride fine, although I have them on the softest setting.
Check out every 944 at your local wrecker, I paid $25 for mine.
Aurumen

Post by Aurumen »

The red ones I have are gas charged. I'm pretty sure they're low pressure gas twin tube shocks, but I'm not positive.

Nick