lower Torsion arm...there is not a lot of information out there on replacing bearings or replacing the arm itself. Wher

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: lower Torsion arm...there is not a lot of information out there on replacing bearings or replacing the arm itself. W

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Not sure what you mean by "lower torsion arm" are you talking about the rear arms in an IRS bug?
edited down stub axle installation, part deux 001 (1).JPG
Or a lower arm on the front beam.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: lower Torsion arm...there is not a lot of information out there on replacing bearings or replacing the arm itself. W

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

If you are talking about the front beam I did some looking around and there really isn't much on it. Check you VW manual if you have one.

I did get out my manual and as far as the bearings that the front arms ride on the King and Link and Ball-joint beems are similar. There is the roller bearing plus bushing behind it that the arms ride on.
thD06AYPOX.jpg
Other than a PI (production illistration) of the beam assy not much other info is given to then ends of the beam. My reference is a Haynes but there is a better version (I forget it's name) that might go deeper into the problem. The PI is not out of my manual but off-line and the added arrow points to what I think is one of the needle bearings but does not show the busing behind it. The seal is in front of the bearing in the PI.

On line: one site talking about driving the bearing out from the opposite side using a long rod. Not sure if that is the best way. One might be able to get a hooked end slide hammer (or one of the other styles available) in side of the beam to pull the bearing(s) out. It is the reloading of a new bearing that is the problem. I am not too sure about the pushing it in place nor did I find the depth you set the bearing and, if you drive it out... the bushing.

Replace the end seal at the same time.

A lot of people do not like the Urethane or urethane style of bushings so ask around about them.

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.