Eccentric bushings for IRS camber - anyone interested?

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
maurice

Eccentric bushings for IRS camber - anyone interested?

Post by maurice »

Hey guys, I'm in the process of building my Subaru powered mid engine bug and I ran into a problem. My camber was around 3 degrees, and I still hadn't lowered it completely. Instead of rewelding my trailing arm pivots, I had my neighbor make me some delrin eccentric bushings, and it brought my camber back to around 1 degree.

I know I'm not the only one struggling with this problem. So would anyone be interested in me making a batch of these? It requires some time on a lathe and a mill, so they aren't going to be as cheap as a normal set, but likely easier than flipping and welding trailing arms. Also good for off road. I'll likely make these out of polyurethane instead of the super stuff delrin pictured.

The photos don't show the tapered washer on the other side. I didn't do an accurate measurement of before and after camber, but I can make these in any angle, though I may stick with the 2 or so degrees I got out of this one.
Right wheel has the bushing, left wheel doesn't
H2OSB

Re: Eccentric bushings for IRS camber - anyone interested?

Post by H2OSB »

How much $$ are you thinking you'll ask for a set?

H2OSB
maurice

Post by maurice »

Not sure, we'd have to see how much materials and our jig setup run. Hoping around $70-80, But could less. Hard to say exactly since these first two took awhile to make. Trying to see how much interest there would be.
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Got'cha. Well i think I'd be interested if you're able to get them down to around $50

H2OSB
ChadH

Post by ChadH »

Interested..not sure yet where my camber will be untill I get suspension installed my build though. How much range of camber do you think those provide?
maurice

Post by maurice »

I got roughly a couple degrees out of it. I could probably make more with even more taper, and whoever installs it can index/turn them so they provide less.

H2osb: I'll let you know what they run, someone pointed out that polyurathane might stink milling, so we may stick with delrin (more expensive than poly).
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

There are a herd of polyamides that machine well and would work great, some like some nylons are also decent bearings and available impregnated with moly and/or graphite and not even terribly expensive.

Someone made eccentric bolts at one point...
There was another solution that made the whole mount movable posted, I strongly considered it.

I personally was able to get to ~.5 degree using the standard adjustment, but something more elegant like a vernier adjustment rather than the usual "crank on it and check the result" would be nice.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
maurice

Post by maurice »

I emailed the guy who did bolts, he doesn't do them anymore. The camber bushings were not a bad idea, but you're right, moving the whole bracket up is the correct way to do it.

We ended up lowering the bug ALL the way down to help with the cv joint angle on the mid engine setup. My neighbor and I are making two brackets on the torsion tube and connecting the trailing arm with heim joints. One bracket will be slotted for camber adjustability.