67 bug feels unsafe

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
GARRICK.CLARK

67 bug feels unsafe

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Hi.
I have a 67 bug.
Turbo powered type 4.
Basicaly it feels dangerous to drive.
I'm gunna tell ya how the suspension is.
Can someone tell me were its wrong. Thanks.

FRONT.
2" narrowed beam
1 pair of caster shims
standard shocks
No swaybar.
drop spindles.
Zero camber.
145 tyres
lowered more at front than rear.

REAR.
28 mm torsion bars
heavy duty spring plates
standard rear shocks
zero camber.
205-70 rears.
No Z bar.
Short 66 axles

This is basically my interpritation of a straight line strip car which isnt that good for road use
66brm

Re: 67 bug feels unsafe

Post by 66brm »

When you say it feels unsafe what do you mean? Excessive body roll on corners, light steering, wandering?
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

It seams sensitive to cross winds. Not excessively bad weather or anything. I think the rear tyres being 205 70's and the 28 torsion bars are making it want to bounce on the rear tyres on bends. High speed straight run's makes it feel like its a bit floaty. (weight less ).
ChadH

Post by ChadH »

Just a thought. Double check that the rear axle nuts are tight, and that the splines on the drums aren't wallowed out. I had my rear axle get loose once, and it made the rear very sketchy.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

It kind of sounds a bit unbalanced to me. A narrow front w/o a torsion bar tied to a probably very stiff rear and big tires. On the camber bit: http://www.santafegarage.com/precision- ... explained/ this might help explain the whys and wherefores'.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

ChadH. I'll check that, good 1.
Ol'fogasaurus. Yeah there's defo something not right with it.

Today I have adjusted the rear spring plates. Got probably too much negative camber now. but the bug now sits level.(putting a spirit level on the sill shows its level).
I adjusted outer splines only. The outer spline adjustment isn't very fine to be fare. 1 outer spline on these 28 bars and the uprated spring plates was like 2 inches. Never experienced this before. Standard bars/plates adjust 1 inch higher or lower when adjusted. I'm wondering if 1 inner spline will adjust the height up 1 inch or are the inner and outer splines on these 28 bars the same when it comes to adjustment.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Several years ago I did a post on setting preload but the pictures have been held for ransom by Photobucket (I still have the pictures and might redo the string if it is thought to be important enough). Take a look at this from Sway-a-way for some information on setting preload (https://swayaway.com/wp-content/uploads ... 6/9913.pdf) but the adjusting of the inner and outer splines still is a task that has to be done together. For swing axle rear suspensions the preload setting is (I think) a bit more important especially when "hang" (the suspension at full droop) is an important part of the mix. Also, as you know, the proper rear alignment and all four corners is so important.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
Lanner

Post by Lanner »

The 145 front tires are terrible. And hows your toe setting? I bet you have toe-in in the rear.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

The inner and outer have different spline counts. Inner will have to go a couple/several one way and the outer a couple/several the other way to reach the 1" you are looking for.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

cbeck wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:40 pm The inner and outer have different spline counts. Inner will have to go a couple/several one way and the outer a couple/several the other way to reach the 1" you are looking for.
Yup, add then subtract get the right answer. :roll:
Marc

Post by Marc »

The drop spindles are almost certain to use '68½-up tierod ends with larger-diameter studs than the `66-`68½ kind. Did you update the outer ends when the spindles were installed?
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Not sure about the torsion bars you mention but standard VW bars adjust like this...

Dale
Last edited by Dale M. on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:57 am Several years ago I did a post on setting preload but the pictures have been held for ransom by Photobucket (I still have the pictures and might redo the string if it is thought to be important enough). Take a look at this from Sway-a-way for some information on setting preload (https://swayaway.com/wp-content/uploads ... 6/9913.pdf) but the adjusting of the inner and outer splines still is a task that has to be done together. For swing axle rear suspensions the preload setting is (I think) a bit more important especially when "hang" (the suspension at full droop) is an important part of the mix. Also, as you know, the proper rear alignment and all four corners is so important.

Get browser extension that negates the photopoop ransom...

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=150157

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

So, I took the spring plates off tonight. put them side by side, the slots for the drive shafts are in different positions. 1 plate has more toe out adjustment than the other plate. NOT GOOD.
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

So a little update.
I've elongated the spring plate slots and have the rear toe now at zero for both rear wheels. Slight camber in the rear. Got the kyb white shocks fitted. No camber compensator YET.
I turned my attention to the front end.
I've now got the front end slightly higher than the rear.
Front wheels are zero camber. I do have the extra travel eccentric nuts ,but all I can get is zero camber.
My toe in is good.
Right, my dilemma is weather to buy a 3/4 sway bar for the front end.
I currently don't have a bar fitted to it.
The front is light.
no spare wheel, no bumper and not a lot of fuel.