Oval beetle, adjustable spring plates and torsion bars?

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Oval beetle, adjustable spring plates and torsion bars?

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

"To use the later longer torsion bar/single arm IRS spring plates I think they would have to be shortened some and re-drilled to match the connection to the swing axle tubes. "

You can't use an IRS spring plate in a swing axle car, the spring plates are too short. Going the other way can be done. I know someone who cut down 60s swing axle spring plates when he converted his 67 to IRS for that stealth look, in case someone looked inside the wheel arch at the torsion cover."

Thanks Bruce: for some reason I remembered it being the other way. I think there are two lengths of torsion bars for IRS but I suspect that it may not be that way for areas outside of the US where "Swing is King". :wink:
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

petew wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:04 am Ok, but what I want to know is if 60' on bars will fit into 56' housings. Thoughts?
Bruce2 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:45 am The torsion housings are all the same. This means you can put any torsion bar in any chassis.
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:51 am I think there are two lengths of torsion bars for IRS but I suspect that it may not be that way for areas outside of the US where "Swing is King".
All IRS torsion bars are 676mm long. Sway-A-Way is responsible for this myth. If you go to their site now, they have dropped all references to years of VWs (because they don't know!)

There are two types of spring plates, double up to 70, then single after then. But they both use the same bars.
Bruce.m

Post by Bruce.m »

I've got a set of 24 11/16" or 628mm torsion bars in 23.5mm size. Genuine VW.

Allegedly for an IRS thing or perhaps a swing axle square back.

Certainly no good for my type 1 IRS pan so they got replaced!

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Bruce2 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:03 am
Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:51 am I think there are two lengths of torsion bars for IRS but I suspect that it may not be that way for areas outside of the US where "Swing is King".
All IRS torsion bars are 676mm long. Sway-A-Way is responsible for this myth. If you go to their site now, they have dropped all references to years of VWs (because they don't know!)

There are two types of spring plates, double up to 70, then single after then. But they both use the same bars.
You are correct in that SAW now lists only two lengths. No sure about the double spring plate years though.
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Bruce.m wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:46 am I've got a set of 24 11/16" or 628mm torsion bars in 23.5mm size. Genuine VW.
Allegedly for an IRS thing or perhaps a swing axle square back.
According to the "Without Guesswork" workshop booklet swingaxle Type IIIs used a 626mm bar, 23mm dia for most but there was a 24mm Squareback. Oddly, it was used in the lighter-capacity (375kg) cars and set to 18½° while the 23mm was set to 20-20½° in Notchbacks and Fastbacks, and at 21½° for the 460/465kg Squarebacks.

IRS Squarebacks use a 23½mm bar but in 676mm length.
The booklet doesn't cover Things so perhaps yours is for them - but the the 24-11/16" length implies swingaxle....maybe it's for swingaxle Thing?

A 24mm bar would be 18½% stiffer than a 23mm of the same length, and as you would expect a 23½mm would be right in the middle of that.