Steering box question

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
Ol'fogasaurus

Steering box question

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I need some information please. (duplicate post from my black buggy build)

I just pulled the steering box out the black buggy to see why the new 36 spline universal or the other VW universal I have will not fit on it. The dimension I took off the splined end of the steering shaft mount was something like 0.64 and the spline count is high. I quit counting at 48 splines and I was about 3/4 the way around the shaft.

On the box I see the VW with an "F" off-set to the right and just below the VW symbol.

At the bottom I see what looks to be either a raised * or a + with a raised SF in-between the two symbols: *SF* or +SF+

In between the VW and the SF is a raised area like you might have for a P/N. I can't make out what is to the left on this area (faces the opposite way/upside down than the rest of the markings) but in the center there looks to be a raised #11, a space then a raised #64. I am assuming the 64 might be the spline count but that is only a guess.

Any ideas what I have and where it comes from?

Lee

This is a duplicate of my build string on the off-road forum. Below are added pictures.

The number on top is 7b.

This is by the shaft going to the Pittman Arm. The number might be a 14.

The next three pictures are of the main body of the steering box. The arrow points to what I think it the number 64.

This was shot with no flash and I pushed the editing of the photo a bit more than normal.

The number at the bottom seems to be a 1.

A similar photo but with a flash then pushed during editing.

Can anyone tell me what I have please.

Thanks Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Steering box question

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

What I was able to find out so far is the steering box (by part number) is a Type 3 steering box which is interchangeable with Type 1's as long has you have the matching Pittman Arm.

The splined end that connects to the steering shaft is another problem that the people I got the universals from is looking into. At worse I might have to buy a new steering box (and Pittman Arm ?). There is a bunch of confusion about this right now.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Steering box question

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

After a bunch of running around, doing searches on line I got some answers... in about a week. :lol: :roll:

From what we got doing searches on Edge, Bing and Google and also changing the wording during the searches this is not that unusual of a problem. It is looking like I have several different options of how I attack the problem so I ordered two different set of parts and will choose which one of between 2 and 4 options available. One I don't like at all, one I am not too fond of and two I am not sure if they will solve the problem so you can guess which one it will probably end up being... thanks to Murphy :roll: .

Lee