13" wheels on standard Beetle discs

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
Dan Dryden

Re: 13" wheels on standard Beetle discs

Post by Dan Dryden »

I'm pretty fed up wasting so much time with the 13's, ordering spacers and spigot rings only to find I can't get a caliper behind them.
I contemplated 14's, but realised that the space they offer for a caliper is marginal compared to 13's. I also haven't found a 14" wheel I like the style of.
I've found a set of 15" wheels which I like the style of and they only weigh 6.6kg each (according to other forums).
I estimate that switching to these wheels will offer a 5-6kg saving in unsprung weight per corner.
I've been lurking on the Mazda Miata forums because they are very considerate of wheel weights and swear that a big difference can be made in the handling and feel of a car with reduced unsprung weight.
One of the forums even quote that losing 1kg in rotational mass feels the equivalent to losing 6kg in total vehicle weight......
I'll let you know if I think there's any truth to be had in that. Using that theory, my car should feel like it's carrying around 120kg less weight. I can start eating the cakes and chocolate again! Lol!
GS guy

Re: 13" wheels on standard Beetle discs

Post by GS guy »

Or maybe switching to a set of Revolutions would do the trick? They've got some ultra-wide selections in 13"! Just have to find some streetable tires to fit. I think the reliable 205/60 is almost impossible to find any more. :-(