Products that don't exist, but should

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
ChadH

Re: Products that don't exist, but should

Post by ChadH »

Ozzie wrote:Chad, any troubles drilling the springs? I've thought about longer/shorter torsion tubes. I figured for some price sway-a-way could make a custom length set of spring packs.
Phillip, I should have been more clear. I am running ball joints. Cool idea for the king pins though.
Honestly, I don't remember. This was circa 1991, using my dad's crappy tools. I probably ruined a cheap drill bit doing it, but it was a loooong time ago. :lol:
Marc

Post by Marc »

It's been 30+ years since I had to drill any spring stacks and I can't recall the details. Besides the bit being able to cut into spring steel (cobalt bits are good but spendy) it should have the correct angle to match that of the tip of the grubscrew - one of the things I don't remember at the moment. Common bit angle is 118° but I think you need 90° for this - if nobody who knows chimes in, do your own research. A mismatched angle could result in the torsion leaf(s) breaking, that would be a bad thing ;)
You'll want to use a drill press equipped with a vise to clamp the leaves together, of course.
TJ530

Post by TJ530 »

A custom rear stub axle that allows the use of more modern rear wheel bearings and hubs(preferably 5x114.3 or 5x100) but still bolts up to the VW CV. Then all you have to do is have a tubular rear arm that has the bolt pattern for the hub, caliper, and the backing plate then everything from the donor car should bolt up and then you get a modern hub and bolt pattern and e brake.
If the same could be done for a front spindle that would allow more modern brakes and wheels for a lower price and with better precision.