Advice needed - Mendeola vs Traditional type 1 suspension.

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
saltgrinder

Re: Advice needed - Mendeola vs Traditional type 1 suspension.

Post by saltgrinder » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:36 am

??? Anything

FJCamper

Post by FJCamper » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:23 pm

Hi Kevin,

We have two Florida events (Historic Sportscar Racing) coming up, Daytona 01-03 November, and Sebring 01-04 December.

We'll be running our balljoint/IRS Ghia there, 1600cc sprint racer.

One form of test is to have a Type 1 IRS chassis there with with your front end that our driver (I don't drive -- I just crew chief) could track test. We'd perfer a Ghia, but a 356 kit car (with a good rollbar) would work and probably be more photogenic. I'd have a hard time getting a Bug past HSR management.

The only thing we'd ask, to even the playing field, is the Ghia or 356 have street-legal 185x15 tires. Any kind of engine would be okay, as we're driving the cars for feel, not max speed.

I am no suspension engineer, but I was with one national championship SCCA Showroom Stock team for a few seasons (and yes, we tweaked those suspensions), the now belated Brumos Porsche out of Jacksonville in our 1970's glory days, and the Frank Williams F1 team just before they hired Senna.

I want your suspension to work so I prejudiced in your favor.

Getting some good video at Daytona or Sebring should be useful for your own advertising.

Oh, the white car in the old Barber video you took as a Nissan was a BMW 318, just a four cylinder. He fell out for some reason. The video is poor quality. The car Barret had to run down and beat was a 325 6-cyl on race tires.

Our Ghia was in 165x15 Michelin XAS tires.

Here's one minute of a spring event at Road Atlanta in which we take down two BRE Datsun 510's. If you are old enough to remember those cars you know what passing the two of them means. And, the video shows a bit about our front suspension action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tng5ReSc2wY (corrected link)

FJC
Last edited by FJCamper on Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H2OSB

Post by H2OSB » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:41 pm

Frank--

You kinda Rickrolled us with that video. I NOT sure you meant to attach that particular video. Perhaps you got some numbers mixed up on your link?

H2OSB

Post by H2OSB » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:46 pm

Re the Mendeola suspension...Why won't you guys do some kind of documented testing? You've been asked many times over the years and STILL nothing. I'm certain, were you to prove your claims, you would sell more front suspensions than you could build. Many of us out here would love something to improve on the already pretty good factory suspension, however, for how much you're asking, it needs to have documentation.

johnL (aka H2OSB)
www.superbeetlesonly.com

FJCamper

Post by FJCamper » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:36 pm

Sorry guys,

I can't even explain the video mixup. The correct link has been posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tng5ReSc2wY

Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:34 pm

H2OSB wrote:Re the Mendeola suspension...Why won't you guys do some kind of documented testing? You've been asked many times over the years and STILL nothing. I'm certain, were you to prove your claims, you would sell more front suspensions than you could build. Many of us out here would love something to improve on the already pretty good factory suspension, however, for how much you're asking, it needs to have documentation.

johnL (aka H2OSB)
http://www.superbeetlesonly.com

Yeah, what he said.

Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:05 pm

Yeah, what he said. Any tests?