Porsche 1987 944 wide trailing arms (ABS arms) parts help

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
volksbugly

Porsche 1987 944 wide trailing arms (ABS arms) parts help

Post by volksbugly »

I scored some trailing arms from a 1987 Porsche with ABS. Actually the entire rear assembly without axels. The reason I got this is I have deep dished wheels ET 51 and I have 3 inch wider fenders. So I wanted to get my wheels out as far as possible to increase my rear stance. FYI these trailing arms are aprox 52mm wider. I also want to do a coilover conversion and these arms make it alot easier .
So I have questions on everything I need to get. What are good brands and what should I get?

Axels?
Uniball adjuster / spring plate adapter?
Emergency brake adapter?

How can I make axels work? I have a 'regular' vw bug transmission 1970.

Has anyone used the ABS stuff to make an electronic speedometer work? I am megasquirted so I'm hoping I can tie that in.
Steve Arndt

Re: Porsche 1987 944 wide trailing arms (ABS arms) parts he

Post by Steve Arndt »

Finding a pair of 87 944 turbo axles would be your easier bet. Direct fit up.

For uniballs you have many options. You can run the stock Porsche spring plates with vw bushings (no cost). There are lots of racing adjustable options.

For brake cables, here:
http://vdubengineering.com/uncategorize ... -adapters/
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Cool, I see now why the brake adapters are called "swans".
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

Just sharing some info I found while trying to order parts to rebuild everything.
In 1987, ABS was offered as optional equipment on both normally aspirated cars as well as turbos. This required the wheel offset to be increased for the 1987 model year from 23.3 mm to 52.3 mm. All cars received the increased offset wheels even if they were not equipped with ABS. Tubular front stabilizers were used on the 1987 model cars (25.5mm x 4 mm).