Which brackets to run late Type-3/volvo 240 calipers?

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
simon_C

Which brackets to run late Type-3/volvo 240 calipers?

Post by simon_C »

I'm doing some research now to set up a disc brake conversion for my 73 super.

I know that volvo 240 4 pot calipers will fit a late type 3/ghia/914 caliper mounts.
As far as I can tell (please correct me if i'm wrong), most brake caliper mounts available for super beetles are made to fit EARLY ghia calipers, which (again, if i'm mistaken, correct me) have a smaller bolt spacing for their mount flange than late Type 3/240 calipers.

Is there a set of caliper brackets available for the super beetle that will take the later style, wider mount calipers?

BTW, I read Piledriver's thread on the bmw calipers on his type 3, that's what spurred this whole idea.
Piledriver

Re: Which brackets to run late Type-3/volvo 240 calipers?

Post by Piledriver »

The bad news is that yes, most of the off-the-shelf adapters are for the little Varga etc calipers.

The big Volvo calipers are likely to be too much bite for good F/R balance unless you have some fairly large rear calipers/discs and larger master cylinder.

If you have to make custom adapters anyway, I (in hindsight) recommend Wilwood superlight "internals". Available in a large variety of piston sizes and rotor widths. You can buy simple mounts for those that would be pretty easy to fab up a custom mount or simply weld on. They also have a fitting name, and are nice and rigid with a bridge bolt setup.(std)

A pair of them with pads probably still weigh much less than one Volvo caliper.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
simon_C

Post by simon_C »

Wilwoods are way too expensive. I'm not too concerned with weight. It's a daily not a race car.
The goal here was to use cheap, easily available parts that didn't cost a lot of money.

I dont have a fab shop or a lot of tools, so I cant make much custom. Looking for a bolt-on affair.

If there is a better bolt on option that wont make my bank account cry, then I'm all ears.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

You would need to see how they line up with the std ears.

Its possible all you would need to make would be drill and maybe tap 4 holes in a flat bit of steel or aluminum if everything lines up. It may help to ditch or modify the spashguard and stagger the caliper up as it isn't wide enough to straddle the original ears.

If the mount ears are ~in the same plane, anyone who can weld decent could widen the aftermarket mount as needed.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
davidt

Post by davidt »

I have installed Volvo 240 4-pots and vented discs to my 72 Superbug. Email me if you would like to know how I did it.
[email protected]
By the way, they work great.
20170916_075647.jpg
20170916_085935.jpg
20170910_084252.jpg
20170827_094731.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bgrunhaus

Post by bgrunhaus »

where did you source those discs from?
bgrunhaus

Post by bgrunhaus »

where did you source those discs from?
davidt

Post by davidt »

Hi, They are front discs from a 1999-2003 Mercedes Benz Vito van (108D, 110D & 113D models) part number DBA564, 5x112PCD, 276mm Dia. I had a blank VW disc/hub assy machined to remove the disc. Then a sleeve was machined to locate the disc centrally on the hub and also to locate the hub centric alloy rim.
If you want some more photos, then please email me your request.
[email protected]
Hooroo, David