BJ Front End higher rate leaves

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
helowrench

BJ Front End higher rate leaves

Post by helowrench »

Does anyone have any experience with the uprated leaf packs for the balljoint front ends?

I see two different ones on CBs website, one just says "heavy duty" the other actually lists as "Swayaway 15% higher than stock".....
Ian Godfrey

Re: BJ Front End higher rate leaves

Post by Ian Godfrey »

I run the 15%swayaways with 28 rear long bars, konies and whiteline sway bars in a ghia. works well for me.
needed to sand some mill scale off to slide in though, really did not want to go through the centre adjuster.
buildabiggerboxer

Post by buildabiggerboxer »

There are other ways to increase the the front spring rate, just be aware you are transferring load to the rear and as Ian did above, the rear will need stiffening to restore the balance, I run the bugpack hd leaves and they are also split and shortened to accommodate 4 adjusters for a VERY stiff axle, it adjust for corner weight across the axle for circuit racing, but some race series specify stock leaves only, with these an old t.b centre anchor is welded to the torsion arms and machined back to fit the axle bearing, I found doing just one pair gave about right stiffness, some do all 4 for a very stiff front end that won't need an ARB.
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

buildabiggerboxer,
I have just installed 23mm rear bars, that is why i am looking at stiffening the front, as it might be needed.
street use
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

I have ran the 15% stiffer sway a way (bugpack marketed back then) front leafs in my ball joint baja for about 10 years. They are very stiff, very stiff. I want to try try running stock in one torsion pack and the HD springs in the second torsion to moderate the stiffness.
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

Steve Arndt wrote:I have ran the 15% stiffer sway a way (bugpack marketed back then) front leafs in my ball joint baja for about 10 years. They are very stiff, very stiff. I want to try try running stock in one torsion pack and the HD springs in the second torsion to moderate the stiffness.
That was my intent for fine tuning ability. also, mine will probably be in an adjustable beam (Thanks Scottrods).