Swing, long axle, Rear Disc conversion issues

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
brads69bug

Swing, long axle, Rear Disc conversion issues

Post by brads69bug »

Doing a Disc conversion on a sandrail. Went with 68 long axles and bearing housings. Im having a hard time trying to find the correct spacers to make it happen. Am I missing something when it comes to ordering spacers? I cant get the calipers to center on the rotor. Its about a 1/2 in off. Any insight on what I need to order to make this right would be great. Hopefully I provided enough info.
buildabiggerboxer

Re: Swing, long axle, Rear Disc conversion issues

Post by buildabiggerboxer »

Not sure exactly what spacers you mean, but from my knowledge if it was IRS originally, The commonest faux pah is using the IRS bearing spacers, you need the proper swing axle spacers, apologies if my info is not the cure.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

brads69bug wrote:Doing a Disc conversion on a sandrail. Went with 68 long axles and bearing housings. Im having a hard time trying to find the correct spacers to make it happen. Am I missing something when it comes to ordering spacers? I cant get the calipers to center on the rotor. Its about a 1/2 in off. Any insight on what I need to order to make this right would be great. Hopefully I provided enough info.
Long or short or is it one side is long and the other side is short?

Edit: removed some unnecessary information.
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brads69bug

Post by brads69bug »

Long axle
brads69bug

Post by brads69bug »

We converted it from short axle to Long axle when we put a new tranny in it.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

http://www.mooreparts.com/Brakes-%26-Re ... wing-Axle/ Maybe something here. They designate long and short swing axle on the page before this.

Lee
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Not sure if long axle or short axle is the problem.... All the difference in these is about 1.3 inches (33mm) between where spring plate bolts to axle tube and where backing plate or caliper bracket bolts to end of axle tube....

Only issue here would be LONG spline vs SHORT spline (on end of axle)...

All spacer kit for swing axle is for is if you are putting short spline drum on long spline axle, and spacer goes between drum (or rotor) and castle nut to make up for difference in spline length...

Dale
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Dale, that is the .55 spacer or the amount to be removed from the drum's snout that I had removed as it sounded like he said that wasn't the problem. :oops:

Good pictures by the way.

Lee
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Yeah... Not sure what the meaning of about 1/2 inch off is in OP's post

Dale
Last edited by Dale M. on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

brads69bug wrote:Doing a Disc conversion on a sandrail. Went with 68 long axles and bearing housings. Im having a hard time trying to find the correct spacers to make it happen. Am I missing something when it comes to ordering spacers? I cant get the calipers to center on the rotor. Its about a 1/2 in off. Any insight on what I need to order to make this right would be great. Hopefully I provided enough info.
Picture of actual problem might help!

Dale