i need help on my baja motor

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
badbaja209

i need help on my baja motor

Post by badbaja209 »

hey hows it going i own a 70 vw baja and the motor has to have been swapped because the numbers on the block are 113 101 102 b5 and the numbers on my chassis is 110 228 7490 i have people tellin me im wrong or that i have misread the numbers but the motor is spotless theres no dirt nothing because im in the middle of repairing some car cancer in the floor pan and i put new air shocks in the rear just stuff so if any can help me please
FJCamper

Re: i need help on my baja motor

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Badbaja209,

People are telling you that you have to swap or change to another engine because your engine number is wrong?

No. Or at least not for that reason. They might be trying to warn you about the "H" case engines. Weak cases, prone to trouble.

Look at the engine case just below the generator or alternator stand. Does the engine number start with an H ?

FJC
badbaja209

Post by badbaja209 »

ive heard about the h case im not sure if i have an h case or not because the only thing thats there is a german word that starts with a Zundf i think and the firing order but there is nothin else...............people were telling me that the b5 part was wrong........i have paper work on the motor swap it was done in ohio but the shop is no longer open so i dont know what too do really i mean it runs great and sounds really mean but other than that i dont know........somebody told me too remove the head and measure the piston is that a why too tell about what cc it is IS THIS CORRECT OR NOT
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Just for giggles: is there any markings cast in the outside or sides of the sump area in the block?

Marc

Post by Marc »

The original engine case on a `70 would be a B6. First year of 1600cc, last year of singleport heads and the in-shroud oil cooler (albeit with larger passages than in pre`70). B6 cases had larger oil passages and dual pressure control valves and were head & shoulders above the `68/`69 H5/B5.

But the salient point is that you can find no ID number stamped into the case (just below the pedestal, where you see the Zundfölge 1-4-3-2) - all original factory cases were serialized there. The casting marks on the sump identify the raw castings only and should not be confused with the ID codeletters or serial numbers stamped into the finished product; a significant one to look for would be "AS41" which indicates an improved alloy found in the "better" cases. If a replacement case originated in the "factory exchange" program it might have no stamped-in markings (the installing dealer was supposed to see to it that it be stamped with the number of the case it replaced) but there would be a factory exchange mark in the ID zone - a VW emblem encircled by two arrows. Factory-exchange cases could be of the same vintage and specs as the ones they replaced, or could incorporate newer refinements; it all depends upon when they were made and how long they sat on the shelf.

There have also been replacement cases available which did not originate in the factory exchange program; these would have no stamped-in markings whatsoever. Country of origin could be Germany, Mexico, or Brazil (or even a combination, where the raw castings came from one country and the finish machine work was done elsewhere). The picture that Ol'fogasaurus posted is of such a case; they were made in the same plant that supplied VWs production lines and sold both through VWoA and the aftermarket - his is the latter, note how the VW emblem was crudely removed with a hand grinder.

A unique thing about the `70 case is that it's the only dual-relief, large-passage case which uses m6 hardware to mount the oil cooler. With the inception of the "doghouse" cooler for `71, the mounting stud was enlarged to m8 and the holes in the two "ears" of the casting were opened up. A later case with m8 hardware can be backdated to accept the `70 cooler - but this area isn't visible on an assembled engine so it's not of much use to you for identification.

All cases have one oil pressure relief valve near the pump at the back of the case - you'll see a round slotted plug almost an inch in diameter when you look up from below. The dual relief cases have another one at the front (near the transmission).

Another characteristic of the more desirable cases is the presence of horizontal ribs in the surface of the casting on the panel above the dipstick. Starting in `73, the head stud diameter was reduced from 10mm to 8mm - an improvement because the thermal expansion characteristics of the smaller studs more closely match those of the rest of the engine. Steel inserts were added to increase the thread contact area where the studs screw into the case. 8mm studs can be retrofitted to earlier cases. There are also steel inserts available for the 10mm studs; while never a factory configuration, it's still a worthwhile upgrade to an old case since it lessens the incidence of head studs pulling out.

Disclaimer: The US market has always received the "top-option" engine offered that model year; in other countries, smaller displacement/lower-output engines were available (you could still get a 1200cc engine in Germany in the `70s, for example) so some of my comments above apply only to the US market.

P.S. Please try to locate the appropriate forum when posting a new topic...admittedly, we're all sometimes guilty of drifting off-topic, but for the sake of future readers who might be searching for information it's best to at least start in the right place;) ...this question belongs in the Engine Rebuild, Type I, or even Newbie forum more than it does in Suspension/Handling/Brakes.
badbaja209

Post by badbaja209 »

well for your PS ill just get the fuk off here then maybe you shouldnt be so rude cause i messed up postin this in here so thanks for wat little help you guys gave me imma go make up a new forum somewhere else so that way i dont look like a NEWBIE so its cool ill take my neeeds else were
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

Dude, chill.
Marc was just giving you a heads up.
That heads up was merely intended to enable you to get quality information in a timely manner.

What made you think he was bagging' on you?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

badbaja209 wrote:well for your PS ill just get the fuk off here then maybe you shouldnt be so rude cause i messed up postin this in here so thanks for wat little help you guys gave me imma go make up a new forum somewhere else so that way i dont look like a NEWBIE so its cool ill take my neeeds else were
badbaja209 I don't think that Marc comments were meant as being derogatory. Being a moderator he is also aware that if a search is being done by someone it is easier to find this kind of information in a more precise location. I would suspect that everyone has been guilty of interjecting something in a different location or making a title that isn't very well searchable. :oops:

We enjoy all the newbies as it is fun to watch them grow in knowledge and participate more. Every once in a while they also come up with something that old timers might think: 'Oh yeah... I wish I had thought of that '.

Lee
Marc

Post by Marc »

badbaja209 wrote:...so thanks for wat little help you guys gave me...
Seriously? That's your takeaway? I don't know what more information anyone could provide. I know I made a sincere effort to give you as thorough an answer as possible.
You seem to have some issues, please seek help.
itawolf

Post by itawolf »

Wow.

I'm lost for words
RET Marine 0317 --with VW on the lobe!!
Lots of iron in the fire
itawolf

Post by itawolf »

That was great posting Marc
Lots of good info

And you typed up a bunch

The other site "s" would have had a one sentence answer
RET Marine 0317 --with VW on the lobe!!
Lots of iron in the fire
Marc

Post by Marc »

Thank you, I do try to pass along as much as possible of the VW lore that I've absorbed over the years while I still can (especially since my son is no longer particularly enamored of ACVWs ... these days I see his eyes rolling whenever I start to pontificate). I can always count on the other "gurus" here to straighten me out when I have my facts wrong, which is one of the reasons I tend to ramble - the more I mention, the more opportunities for corrections...hopefully someday (perhaps when I'm gone) STF will be considered the authoritive source for VW minutia. That'd be a cool legacy indeed.

badbaja209, if you're still with us (and I hope that you are - the hobby needs young blood to carry the torch forward) please realize that I meant no offense, it was merely a constructive suggestion intended for the general good.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Don't sweat it, Marc, no one could see that kind of left-field response coming.

Some people cannot recognize good advice even if it reaches out and slaps them upside the head. :lol:
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
badbaja209

Post by badbaja209 »

im sorry MARC i was just mad because when i went and started messin around with my car that day i had noticed someone cracked my windsheild and rear passenger window original glass too im 19 i usually dont act like that o im sorry and i understand about the topic it was going towards my suspension because i think when someone swapped this motor im thinkin they swapped trannys too but my paperwork says that its stock im going too pull the tranny and motor today and try to get some photos on here for you guys that might still be interested PS> MARC IM SORRY FOR MY MISTAKE
badbaja209

Post by badbaja209 »

and MARC i have reread your pot from the other day i do have the as41 right by the fireing order its in a circular motion