Race Team Wanted MD/DE/PA

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
ProctorSilex

Race Team Wanted MD/DE/PA

Post by ProctorSilex »

I am building a race car from a 1970 Karmann Ghia for Chump Car and 24 Hours of LeMons. To do those races, I need a team of workers/drivers. I work on the car at my friend's place in Aberdeen, MD for the time being. Eventually, it will be at my house in Elkton, MD (it might alternate between the two places TBD). I could really use help to get the car together faster and maybe race this season. If I do not have a team, I will being doing SCCA solo with it most likely.

Alternatively, if you are not specifically interested in the race car, my friend, Brent, wants to start a VW wrenching club. You could come by with your car and some tools when we are working on our cars. We could exchange help or just camaraderie. The Aberdeen location has outdoor space for working on multiple cars.
FJCamper

Re: Race Team Wanted MD/DE/PA

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Proctor,

You are invited to crew with us at Daytona on May 27th. All you need is your toothbrush and a 10mm wrench.

We're running a '73 Super.

FJC
ONEBADBUG

Post by ONEBADBUG »

Been there, done that, forgot to buy the tee shirt! Let me know if you have questions, We just finished our first 16 hour.
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Hi OneBadBug,

Please, we want to hear all the lurid details.

FJC
ProctorSilex

Post by ProctorSilex »

FJC,
Thank you. I would like to crew, but I have something that weekend and Florida is far. I would consider future events (especially if I can get a cheap flight or it is nearby).

OneBadBug,
I did four LeMons, which means that most of my concerns are about the car's configuration for the time being, though some of those concerns involve Chump and LeMons rules (fuel cell and fueling in particular).

I do have one team question though: how did you build yours?

Thanks, guys
vdubsinjensen

Post by vdubsinjensen »

ONEBADBUG wrote:Been there, done that, forgot to buy the tee shirt! Let me know if you have questions, We just finished our first 16 hour.
Awesome! How did you guys do? What kind of car?
ONEBADBUG

Post by ONEBADBUG »

I'm writing up the report right now, but I can tell you we started around 11th, and worked up to about 8th. Then we started having issues. We were running at the checkered, came in 16th out of 25. The car is a ratty old ex circle track ghia.
Steve
ONEBADBUG

Post by ONEBADBUG »

ProctorSilex wrote:

Thanks, guys
Not sure what you're asking here.
ProctorSilex

Post by ProctorSilex »

ONEBADBUG wrote:
ProctorSilex wrote:

Thanks, guys
Not sure what you're asking here.
Do you have a team? Are you the leader?
I am trying to find people who want to work on and race my car. I am curious how others have assembled their team. I have not had any success so far. I started by telling friends. My gear head friends want to race (one does help when he can), but they do not have the means to race. I tell people whom I meet, but they do not follow up. I asked on the closest SCCA forum and the group I raced with before (they have enough cars, no room for more drivers, and they are not local to me). I am running out of ideas.
vdubsinjensen

Post by vdubsinjensen »

You have to find dedicated people, and/or just sell rides in the car. I've got myself, and 2 friends that are dedicated and do All the prep and maintainance on the car, and have one or two others that buy rides in the car. We also have a a few friends that show up and help out at the track. It's a LOT of work, but worth every minute of it.

Racing is an addiction only cured by Poverty
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Proctor,

Do I read you right that you've crewed on four previous LeMons?

It appears you want to field your own car and team and can't get the help. Have you driven in any of the LeMons?

FJC
ProctorSilex

Post by ProctorSilex »

For those four times, the drivers were also the crew, so I did both. Yes, I want to field my own car and team and have nobody committed to that goal.
I could probably get at least one friend to be on crew at an event. It is likely that I could sell driver spots on the LeMons and Chump forums. What I could really use is one or two people who want to prepare the car and drive or crew.
I do have two friends who help occasionally, but neither is going to drive or crew.
vdubsinjensen

Post by vdubsinjensen »

Yesterday I had one of my Drivers' tell me he can't make it for Daytona due to money issues(the lack of it, due to HIS mis-management of it). He's really screwed things up for the rest of our team, and Me especially. :x I've already shelled out all the $$ for entry, tires, brakes, and a few other parts to get us into the race. I've got the word out to get another driver for the race, and have a few options.
This is what I get for taking someone's word that they are IN for a race. Next time I'll get all the money up front before I allow anyone on the team.
With friends like this, who needs Enema's?
yodogg

Post by yodogg »

Paul,

That sucks. Frank and I were just talking about the very same thing (what if we lose a driver). He was planning on getting in touch with you about backing each other up if one of us came up short a driver.
vdubsinjensen

Post by vdubsinjensen »

I'd be up for backing you guys up as long as we get our own team in order. I'm sure things will fall into place. It would have been nice if we could have pitted next to each other, but I think Chumpcar is assigning pit spots by car numbers. That will have me pitted between a Mustang and a Camaro if it's anything like the PBIR race. We upped for a garage space as well if we need any serious repairs off of pit road. Let me know if you need any help.
Paul