Ghia Road Course Setup

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Ghia Road Course Setup

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:01 pm

Bruce's way of lowering is correct, you take some of the preload out but there is a suspension softening that goes with it.

FJ's idea I have never heard of before but if I understand it correctly it acts the same as a lowering block on leaf spring cars. Very creative and I guess it must work.

I seem to remember that some guys raise the rear torsion assembly in the car but that is a lot of work!

FJCamper

Post by FJCamper » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:46 pm

Yes, you can reindex. That's the right way. But lots of guys get indexing wrong (inner and outer splines) which is why dropped spring plates, adjustable spring plates, etc., were invented.

The simplistic adapter plate I described was used back in the 50's on 356's and Bugs.

petew

Post by petew » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:24 am

Hmmm... ok. Like to see a pic of that.

I also don't really get drop spindles. From everything I've read about torsion bar front ends (and roll centre), lowering is often to the detriment of handing.

FJCamper

Post by FJCamper » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:35 am

Drop spindles actually work very well and don't change front end geometry.

I prefer to lower our Ghia with tires, 50, 60, and 65 series.

FJC

petew

Post by petew » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:49 am

:lol:

Gold. Love it. You haven't answered my query about roll centre though. Allen Staniforth describes the roll centre as being 'on the ground' with a torsion bar from end (beetle or Porsche) at standard height.

https://www.amazon.com/Competition-Car- ... 1844253287

Page 46. So I might be misunderstanding, but basically, if you lower the front beam... the front roll centre ends up lower than the ground... Ouch. :?

Which is why I guess, so many porsches/early VW race cars appear to be reaching for the sky up front. It also explains why swingaxle beetles were so prone to rolling over with a higher roll centre at the back and all the weight there too.

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:22 am

On a pure trailing arm suspension, (like t1 front end) the roll center is at the ground regardless of ride height.
...and the lower the car, the closer the cg axis is to the roll center.

Also note that the instant the inside tire lifts, the roll stiffness is infinite on that axle, so the roll center is ~out of play.
I, for one, regularly embrace our new robot overlords, as I am the guy fixing the robots...

FJCamper

Post by FJCamper » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:10 am

Front roll center is at ground level on a VW/Porsche beam axle.

And the rear roll center is right about middle of the transaxle.

A thousand words is worth a picture.