'71 Super Beetle Autocross Build

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: '71 Super Beetle Autocross Build

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Do they allow passengers when auto crossing?
ChadH

Post by ChadH »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:49 am Do they allow passengers when auto crossing?
Yes. We very often offer up ride-alongs to spectators who show up and express an interest. We throw a rental helmet on 'em, tell them to keep their arm in the car, and hang on. It's the best way for someone to understand what it is. Autocross, honestly, looks pretty boring from a spectator's viewpoint. You have to have them in the car to understand how hard the car is being thrown around.

Most ride alongs are twenty something car boys, so I've never had any issues with someone freaking out or wanting to stop. Mostly, they just want more rides, and info on how to run their car at the next race.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

:) That I understand completely. I think I heard that they were doing some of that in "drifting" also.

A long time ago I belonged to a car club where the members either Autocrossed and/or did either of all of the various forms of Rallying that were being done then (the new stuff is a variation of what was done as the closed courses, such as logging trails, that were used are not accessable anymore. A long story on the stoppage of that :roll: ). I did neither as I was more in to 1/4 mile breaking of stuff.

Lee
ChadH

Post by ChadH »

So - no work performed on the project this weekend.

I have made a final decision to use Lexan windows on the sides and rear though. How did I arrive at this decision you ask? Uh, I was searching for something on a high shelf in my garage, and dropped a bicycle fork on my carefully stored rear window. It's now in 20,000 little square pieces. ARGHGHGHGH
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

I don't mean to laugh, but lol

H2OSB
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Gravity poisoning sucks.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
ChadH

Post by ChadH »

Two weekends off the job because: I just bought a 2018 Golf R :P . So, finally, Jamar shift box and some metalwork to get the shifter nice and close to the wheel. Tomorrow, I'll fit up the linkage, using two u-joints. I think I'll be cussing to get the adustment right. It doesn't seem like the Jamar has enough left-right (rotational) throw, so I expect I'll have to do some grinding, or other tweaks to get the pattern to work right. That little crappy plastic knob has to goooo, but I'll worry about that later.

Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

ChadH wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:08 pm Two weekends off the job because: I just bought a 2018 Golf R :P . So, blah, blah, blah...
Wait, what???

Need pics or it didn't happ'n
ChadH

Post by ChadH »

Jadewombat wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:26 pm
ChadH wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:08 pm Two weekends off the job because: I just bought a 2018 Golf R :P . So, blah, blah, blah...
Wait, what???

Need pics or it didn't happ'n
Sigh - I'm an addict. My 4th Golf in a row. MK5 Rabbit>>Mk6 GTI>>Mk7 GTI>>MK7 R (all manual - of course.) I had to get my poor neglected enginless '64 in the shot just to keep up aircooled content. Image
ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

I didn't now VW still made cars with manual trannies in them. The last time was at our local dealer, the only manual trans car on the WHOLE lot was on the Used lot.
ChadH

Post by ChadH »

ps2375 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:43 pm I didn't now VW still made cars with manual trannies in them. The last time was at our local dealer, the only manual trans car on the WHOLE lot was on the Used lot.
So far, yes, they still have manuals. The dealers certainly sell and stock more automatics, and push what they have on the lot. I had to have my dealer bring in a manual from another location when I got my previous GTI. It's a sad state as more and more manufacturers are dropping manuals altogather. I was kind of interested in BMW 2 series, but you can't get a manual until you move into the horridly overpriced M. I have no doubts that manual will be gone within my lifetime.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

what are those universal joints off if you don't mine me asking?
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

ChadH wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:49 am
ps2375 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:43 pm I didn't now VW still made cars with manual trannies in them. The last time was at our local dealer, the only manual trans car on the WHOLE lot was on the Used lot.
So far, yes, they still have manuals. The dealers certainly sell and stock more automatics, and push what they have on the lot. I had to have my dealer bring in a manual from another location when I got my previous GTI. It's a sad state as more and more manufacturers are dropping manuals altogather. I was kind of interested in BMW 2 series, but you can't get a manual until you move into the horridly overpriced M. I have no doubts that manual will be gone within my lifetime.
It already would be gone if you were an Audi driver :cry:
"VW-owned Audi recently announced that starting in 2019, it will be removing the manual transmission option from the A4 sedan and the A5 coupe—which means there won't be a single Audi model available with a manual transmission in the United States."
Meanwhile, the Golf Rs are still selling at a 1:1 ratio...manual:auto

I'm loving my water pumper too. It's been a pain in the ass lately with some of the maintenance...and the constant issue with the water pump itself from the time I owned it in 2012, but it's fun as hell when its working right :lol:
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
ChadH

Post by ChadH »

andy198712 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:03 am what are those universal joints off if you don't mine me asking?
I got them at my local VW/off road shop. I'd link it, but their web-site is a bit wonky. Most VW shops that cater to off-road will have them. Example:
https://www.pacificcustoms.com/sw401-50635.html

15mm with the grub screw is needed on the transmission end. I have a 3/4"x3/4" smooth for the other joint.
ChadH

Post by ChadH »

The first semi-operational mock-up of the shifter. I think it will work, but needs a lot more refinement. The riser for the shift box is way too flexy. I'll need to beef it up and probably weld it to the pan. I'm kinda hitting some of the gears, but it's going to take a lot of foul language before it "ka-chunks" into every gear with confidence.