'71 Super Beetle Autocross Build

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
ChadH

Re: '71 Super Beetle Autocross Build

Postby ChadH » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:51 am

The templates work really slick, if you haven't used them before. The program just spits out a template that you print. Cut along the line, and wrap it around the tube. My cheap Harbor Freight notcher will only adjust up to about a 40-degree angle, so the templates are handy for the odd cuts.
Ol'fogasaurus

Postby Ol'fogasaurus » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:17 pm

:lol: :lol: Bwahahaha! (no offence meant... for sure) I was talking about something else: the template being use as a directional marker, not as a pattern. I don't know how many times I have cut a bunch of stuff and put them in a pile then forgot which one went where and in what direction it was designed/cut to fit so I would have to sit down and fart around trying to figure it out... time wasting!

The templates like you are using are a good idea and you can get very precise that way. Even some of the "how to" shows aren't that close. Good job again!

Lee
ChadH

Postby ChadH » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:15 pm

I finally found some time to get more work done. I made vertical ties to the rear torsion tube. This ended up a big job. I had to hack a lot of sheet metal to get the tube where I wanted it. Then, I had to patch it up, since it's required I have a metal bulkhead between the engine and cabin. The patchwork is very "Frankenstein", made worse since I ran out of gas, and had to weld with flux core. I'll smear seam sealer on it and paint it. I have lots more triangles to add back here, but just ran out of time this weekend.

Also, added the ties to the side of the fender well Here I've double plated the sheet metal. From the outside of the fender well,I'll bring a tie directly down onto the top of the shock mount.

ChadH

Postby ChadH » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:26 am

Lots of triangles. It's starting to get tough to get in there to make nice welds around all the tubes. Doing this makes me really appreciate people who can do perfect "artistic" welding. Also, who needs to go to yoga classes, when your can spend your time struggling between tubes to get at the right angle. :)

ChadH

Postby ChadH » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:23 am

Installed 3-gallon fuel cell. This should be just enough for a day of Autocross. I had to get this in place before adding strut reinforcement, to be sure it didn't conflict.

H2OSB

Postby H2OSB » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:41 pm

you're doing fine work, sir

H2OSB
Ol'fogasaurus

Postby Ol'fogasaurus » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:30 pm

Looks neat, clean and well thought out.

Lee

Return to “Suspension, Handling and Brakes”