How to keep Ring and pinions in your trans????????????????

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Gussets? We don't need no stinking gussets ---
dangerous

Post by dangerous »

Would it be possible to re-post the photos of the sleeve, and the stud modifications for the side cover/rhino case.
They seem to have expired.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Through bolt:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... _id=296539
The cheapo swingaxle side cover on the right illustrates the need to use a higher quality "full circle" side cover.

Flanged steel sleeve:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... _id=287985
(Sleeve does not normally need to be flanged.)
Carl Nolen

Post by Carl Nolen »

Carl Nolen wrote:1.38 60 ft is quite impressive for the ghia boredandstroked. I saw your wheelies over on vwracingnews.com . Hanging them high. From our last conversation, I'd say 50 passes is a record. I just checked my files on my last r&p I changed out in June. 126 passes. I would had probably got more if the traction was not so unbelieveable at the Red River race. It was so sticky that day, I would do the smallest first gear burnout and stage. Still yanked the tires over the tree. Sounds like the recent Vegas race was like that. Probably could have got away with no burnout at all. After the semi's at that race for me, I heard that doom sound in the tranny. That fast rotation spin sound like I rolled the pinion teeth over to preload the gears together. It did hold up for the finals. Sure enough, I had ripped two pinion teeth up at the root. You could not see it until the pinion bearing was removed. Hey, I'll take 126 passes anyday out of a potato chip. I'm putting nitrous on over the winter so I can cut those 1.38 60 ft times. We'll see how the r&p holds up with that extra stress. Trying to get in the 6.70-6.80 area. So I can dail in the sixes like your east coast boys. Seems like all you guys dail in the sixes out there. Sure would be nice if we could have a super bug-in in Memphis or so to where the sevwa,tvwdra, cscdra, txpra, and the ecpra could mix it up. Big money bracket race with pro stocks. Be cool huh? Later, Carl.
Well, here it is a year later. I did put nitrous on my car. I am deep in the 1.4 60 fts doing 6.80's. I have 93 runs on my current 3.88 r&p with two more races to go(knock on wood real quick). I'll probably service the trans in the off season. Or should I go more runs for grins to see how many on the r&p I can get? I'm sure the case is worn out(pinion bore). Looking over this thread again, Pablo's rhino case mod looks interesting. Need a new case anyway. I currently use the timkin method of pinion foward movement. Works ok. I have a crank grinder machine down the end of the pinion for the timkin bearing. Not to expensive. I guess I'll keep running it while collecting new parts to see if I can set a new run record on 3.88's. LOL.

Where is old boredandstroked anyway? Haven't heard from him in a while. Carl
terry cloyd

Post by terry cloyd »

Do you use the VW gear box with the large or small pinion bearing?
Carl Nolen

Post by Carl Nolen »

terry cloyd wrote:Do you use the VW gear box with the large or small pinion bearing?
Hey Terry, how's your nitrous program these days? Having a lot of fun with mine. I have always used the four bolt trans cases with chromemoly pinion plate and welded gusset on the bottom.
terry cloyd

Post by terry cloyd »

Carl Nolen wrote:
terry cloyd wrote:Do you use the VW gear box with the large or small pinion bearing?
Hey Terry, how's your nitrous program these days? Having a lot of fun with mine. I have always used the four bolt trans cases with chromemoly pinion plate and welded gusset on the bottom.
Carl, I get beat-up on any program. I use the small bearing gear box. It has more gear box to it. Your N20 I like .003 between N20 and gas. I like my hydrometer.
BrockGrimes

Post by BrockGrimes »

Carl Nolen wrote:
I have an stock AH trans. What mods would you guys suggest?
I'm stuffing a 160 - 200hp motor in it if a few months.
It'll be mostly street driven with a trip or 2 on the strip with street tires.
Just for giggles.

Any info would be great.
Thanks
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

BrockGrimes wrote: I have an stock AH trans. What mods would you guys suggest?
I'm stuffing a 160 - 200hp motor in it if a few months.
It'll be mostly street driven with a trip or 2 on the strip with street tires.
Just for giggles.

Any info would be great.
Thanks
You should start your own topic.
COGBOX

Post by COGBOX »

A tid bit of information: the people looking for the aluminum gear carriers to do the 4th gear thrust washer, should look into a mendeola "e" gear carrier.
they are of good quality and are readily available. a plus is they use a huge mainshaft bearing instead of the stock vw one. the down side is that the nose cone will have to be cut .100 to allow the mainshaft bearing to protrude into it. there is plenty of room to put a low 1.58 4 th gear in the carrier without having to cut it for clearance. :D hope this helps
clintonddk

Re:

Post by clintonddk »

COGBOX wrote:A tid bit of information: the people looking for the aluminum gear carriers to do the 4th gear thrust washer, should look into a mendeola "e" gear carrier.
they are of good quality and are readily available. a plus is they use a huge mainshaft bearing instead of the stock vw one. the down side is that the nose cone will have to be cut .100 to allow the mainshaft bearing to protrude into it. there is plenty of room to put a low 1.58 4 th gear in the carrier without having to cut it for clearance. :D hope this helps

So I take it that this carrier will bolt to a type 1 case?
COGBOX

Re: How to keep Ring and pinions in your trans????????????????

Post by COGBOX »

yeah. bolts right on
clintonddk

Re: Re:

Post by clintonddk »

clintonddk wrote:
COGBOX wrote:A tid bit of information: the people looking for the aluminum gear carriers to do the 4th gear thrust washer, should look into a mendeola "e" gear carrier.

So I take it that this carrier will bolt to a type 1 case?

Is this mod able to be done on the Berg 5 speed type 1 intermediate housing?
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

I doubt it.
The B5 has to use the earliest 61-69 mainshaft bearing because space is needed for 5th.
PhillipM

Post by PhillipM »

That stops it :wink: