How to keep Ring and pinions in your trans????????????????

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
bug66

Re: How to keep Ring and pinions in your trans????????????????

Post by bug66 »

3.88 R&P tip relieved, steel sleeved pinion bore, .003" backlash, .010" brg preload, thrust surface added to 4th gear, HD intermediate housing with thrust surface matching that on 4th gear (or bearing arrangement), quality side covers (like Weddle sells, or the old steel ones) tied together with single properly located through-bolt (possible with Rhino case) or something similar, pinion depth properly set.

No need to anneal anything, but shot-peening will certainly help. The R&P set-up as above should last AT LEAST 100 passes in the car you describe. Good luck finding a transmission builder who will take the time to build a trans like this, because it takes easily 3X as long. "Open" check book or DIY is the only way --

^^
Is this still the way to go for setting up the R&P to last the longest?
---

2165cc on a Borg Warner S257 SXE, DTA S60 on E85.

Boost was created only to make people smile, and make power! 8)

10.626 @ 132mph SCC2016
10.407 @ 134mph SCC2017
10.221 @ 135mph SCC2018
Casting Timmy

Post by Casting Timmy »

I don't know who sleeves type 1 right now, but I believe Gears also mentioned needing to true up the bell housing area as well. Recently I learned that there's a bigger mainshaft bearing available for the MD4E, since this is the same as a type 1 I wonder if this would be an upgrade or not. Either way an aluminum gear carrier is better than amagnesium, an E box gear carrier or a Brazilian gear carrier are aluminum. (Someone told me Erco sells an aluminum Brazilian gear carrier)

They also make steel mid mount plates that would require machining the case, I wonder if this would help as well if used with the Eyeball Engineering system or a plate mounting system like RLR sells.

Another option is a bus box with the bug to bus conversion on it, or even a MD2D or MD4E. The 4E uses T1 gears, so you get a massive diff with the same guts to it. The 091 and MD2D use different gears, but would be stronger than a T1. The 2D will be stronger than an 091.
bug66

Post by bug66 »

Sleeving: As long as you could hold the case in place, I don't see why a normal machine shop couldn't do this?

I'm going to run a MD4E-607 gear carrier housing on my Rhino case, should be a match to the rhino case.

Steel mid mount, through bolt between side plates and maybe a girdle will be added.

Bus = IRS and I really want to stay swing axle.
Mendeola is longer and engine won't fit..
---

2165cc on a Borg Warner S257 SXE, DTA S60 on E85.

Boost was created only to make people smile, and make power! 8)

10.626 @ 132mph SCC2016
10.407 @ 134mph SCC2017
10.221 @ 135mph SCC2018
Pablo2

Post by Pablo2 »

I'm going to further update my caution regarding cryogenically treating high quality gears manufactured from EN36/9310 gear material. A few years ago, another Porsche transaxle shop purchased four of a particular ratio of ours, and without informing us sent them out for cryogenic treatment. All four of these gears then failed in relatively short order. Our gears don't break .. except that these four did. Just don't do it.
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86
Casting Timmy

Post by Casting Timmy »

Techanically the upgrade MD4E gear carrier with larger bearing could be done on a T1 as well. How much bigger is the Weddle mainshaft bearing upgrade and anyone know how much better it holds the thrust load? Funco did something as well, but I assume this is different than weddle's current upgrade.