Transmission teardown, tools needed, rebuilding

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
Henryhoehandle

Transmission teardown, tools needed, rebuilding

Post by Henryhoehandle »

Well, this should probably have been started long ago, but I feel we need a section on this. All right guys.. post what you know, (I will help too), details on how to setup, what to check for, where to get tools, books, tips, etc.. and hopefully this will save a lot of time.. Thanks!!
mnsKmobi

Post by mnsKmobi »

Richard Atwell's page on refreshing the 091 transmission has a lot of useful stuff:

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/091Transmission.html
Trebor

Transmission Jig

Post by Trebor »

Hello all,

I built these jigs for Long enterprises and I thought I'd make a mention of them to you guys. I personally do not rebuild transmissions but I do have a sand rail with a type 4 engine and an 091 transmission built by Rick. I come to this forum for information mainly. I figured someone in this forum may have an interest in the jigs. Here is his web address http://www.longenterprises.com . His Website is also packed with VW transmission information. I do not sell these fixtures. They are available exclusively through him.

arlo

Post by arlo »

Long Enterprises mentioned above has an excellent CD that covers EVERYTHING you would want to know about a DIU rebuild at a reasonable price.

You MUST have a press and a gear spreader. I welded up a simple frame that fits with an 8000 pound bottle jack and a gear spreader. This was easy and worked great. You could not do this without one.

Setting up the shift forks is difficult and must be done correctly. The challenge is to be able to hold the gear shafts in their correct position while obtaining access to the fork adjustments. People do this with a scrap housing with a section cut out or by using a device like the jig shown above. I had good luck with a differant method I haven't seen before. I put the gears and forks together and bolted the housings up with the correct pinion spacer. With the nose cone off I mounted a simple angle bracket with an adjustable screw under one of the nose cone studs so that the screw could be set against the end of the pinion shaft. Seating the screw against the shaft, you can now pull the housings back appart while maintaining this proper pinion shaft position against the screw. The main shaft is positioned OK already as long as you keep the flanged main bearing seated in the forward housing. You can now adjust all the shift forks with easy access.

The whole job is rather difficult the first time through and you have to pay close attention to a lot of details but once they are understood it wouldnt be so hard to do again!
markie61

Post by markie61 »

It took me a while to find them, so I thought I'd save others time in the future when they do searches.

Weddle Racing Gears
http://www.weddleindustries.com
Phone number (805) 562-8600 (update-11-06- number changed)

ERCO
Phone number 951-689-4430, or 951-689-4327
nsracing

Post by nsracing »

I have made some steel jigs in the past too.

But having the jigs is NOT enough. You also need the other precision tools to measure pinion depth and Ring gear clearances. Also, you need a large press and a milling machine to re-bush the gear carriers.

I have also dealt w/ Rick in the past. Great guy.

The SWing axles need the most tools. The bus has quite a bit of tools also.

You will also need a surface grinder to clearance the gears if you like to put ratio gears. Although a lathe with toolpost grinding capability will also work.
VW Machinework/Balance
Lineboring, Flywheel grinding
PM me.
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

Here are some of the hand made tools I have.

Last edited by Bruce2 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
effvee

Dails and the rest

Post by effvee »

Hi, I have a old jeg, but I need the dail, dail holders who sells them?
caslor

Post by caslor »

when you change pinion shaft - gear i think you need more than a jig..

you have to measure backlash - end play.
the vw289d tool and vw 297 tool are the ones we need i think.

http://www.longenterprises.com/Images/D ... %20297.jpg

but they dont sell them any more and are difficult to found them..

so are any other methods to measure or make some tools like them??
alsehendo

Post by alsehendo »

Long Enterprises mentioned above has an excellent CD that covers EVERYTHING you would want to know about a DIU rebuild at a reasonable price.

Why is there no CD for the IRS tranny or is it similar enough to the swing axle?
caslor

Post by caslor »

the irs transmission are the same as swing axles.. just have different side covers and cv joints...
spunhub

Post by spunhub »

caslor wrote:the irs transmission are the same as swing axles.. just have different side covers and cv joints...
Not true! The methods and tooling to check and set the differential bearing preload and ring gear backlash are not the same. Not to mention that the universal pinion depth tool (VW 385 tool set.) requires different adapters to do the job.

VW 385 tool set.

some of the tools I use.
fusername

Re:

Post by fusername »

spunhub wrote: some of the tools I use.
in the middle of that pic, the big honker w/ the funny fingers, what on earth is it? I have one and no idea what it is.
Bruce2

Re: Transmission teardown, tools needed, rebuilding

Post by Bruce2 »

I'll tell you exactly what it is........after you sell it to me! :D :wink:
fusername

Re: Transmission teardown, tools needed, rebuilding

Post by fusername »

or I'll make my minions* figure it out.

*don't call them minions, it angers them