===Cutting Tunnel --- Clutch Tube==

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
MNAirHead

===Cutting Tunnel --- Clutch Tube==

Post by MNAirHead »

Howdy.

I went to reapace the clutch cable in our buggy..... the tube is not welded to the support.

Am I correct in thinking that I have to cut the tunnel to get it back together?

Any pointers (cut locations, style, rewelding -- or if I'm totally going about it the though way?

T
Mdyson

Post by Mdyson »

I?m not sure if different years require cutting in different locations but?.. The Robert Bentley Workshop Manual (1961 to 1965) has complete instructions for repairing a loose clutch cable tube in the Frame Repair section.

From what I can determine in the procedures there are two possible points that can become detached. One is located on the passenger side of the tunnel measured 3.15? backward (towards engine)of the hand brake bracket (measure from the back most vertical part of the hand brake bracket). Then measure 5.9? from the floor.

The other point is also on the passenger side, located in the front, opposite and slightly back from where the clutch cable enters the frame. The measurement appears (but hard to tell for sure) to be from the face of the frame head (or where you run out of tunnel) back 7.87?. And also measured up from the floor 5.9?

The book suggest you cutout a triangle shape with the top starting where your two measured points intersect and cut two angled legs about 2? long so that you leave the base of the triangle connected on the bottom, bending the metal back from your cuts. The book suggests using a cutting disc.

Welding: Welding or brazing is suggested, the book claims mostly brazing was factory and in some circumstances, brazing can be used for this repair. If welding there are two cautions, 1) Don?t burn through the tube or get it too hot and 2) not to leave any slag larger than 0.1? in diameter. This is so there is no chaffing of the clutch cable.

I sure this helps you.
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Thank you...

I have a later Bentley... will double check.

Unfortunately this is the rigging that happens with kit cars/buggies.

I don't think it was ever brazed on.

I REALLY appreciate your full description.

Timmy
Marc

Post by Marc »

If the center mounting tab is broken, welding it back together won't last long. Better to bend up a new, better one to place alongside it.
Daniel G

Post by Daniel G »

You could try running a hydraulic clutch settup and just leave the tube alone. Just a thought.

Daniel
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Good idea....

Unfortunately this is a MiniT... there's zero space and/or metal inside to make it all work.

Hydrolic Clutch... good idea... now I've got anothetr thing to add to the baja list.

Timmy

Post by Guest »

when my clutch tube broke loose i put a collar on the end where the bowden tube goes into it. just tightened down the set screw and it works just fine. i din't trust myself to weld or braze in the tunnel and needed as little down time as possible
Air-Cooled Head

Post by Air-Cooled Head »

Marc wrote:If the center mounting tab is broken, welding it back together won't last long. Better to bend up a new, better one to place alongside it.
When this happend to me, I welded a pc of square tube to the clutch cable tube. Drilled a hole through the side of the tunnel and put a bolt through the square tube, washer & nut. The head if pretty flusth with the tunnel and is covered by carpet.
It's held up two years so far.
GhiaMonster

Post by GhiaMonster »

I love to bring this site out once in a while. This guy loves to cut things up to show how they work:

Cutaway of a '63 tunnel with clickable closeups

Details of the front axle tube

Poke around - also shows Type 3 tunnel, muffler and various shots of a Super Beetle, even pillars and heater channels - inside.
doc

Post by doc »

Outstanding pictures! Everybody ought to add site to favorites. Thanks GhiaMonster.

I have seen this repair done before. Tricky, but not impossible. A "three sides of a square" hole was cut from passenger side. The top of the square (top of the car) was the uncut side. Pictures GhiaMonster referenced will show you where to cut. The cut is about 4" square. After 3 sides are cut, bend up "flap" against non-cut side. Now you see and have access to the front clutch cable welded position. This is almost certainly what is broken, I think.

Now, figure out how to fix. We welded. I didn't, but a good welder did it no problem. Per other posts, careful not to overheat and deform tube or leave slag that would interfere with clutch cable. After repair, set up clutch cable and test. If test is ok, bend square piece back into position and weld into place. Grind, sand, prime and paint (yeah, sure!). All fixxie.