Transaxle Seal Kits

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!

Transaxle Seal Kits

Post by Guest »

I just ordered a seal kit for my trans BEFORE reading the numerous posts describing the difficulty in rebuilding a VW trans.

I've got a '71 Ghia that was coated in grimey oil...I'm assuming because it had been leaking.

Here's my question:

Can I utilize this seal kit to "freshen" up the trans or am I going to get into a pickle without special tools?

The trans operated fine before I began my restoration. The car leaked oil from every orrifice!

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Fisch
Marc

Post by Marc »

You can replace the shift housing ("nose cone") gasket and the final drive seals without getting in too deep. Make sure that you get the selector lever engaged correctly as you put the nose cone back on (best done in Neutral, with all 3 shift rail slots lined up). The sidecovers could be removed to replace the large O-rings without any special tools, and the input shaft seal is simple to install (getting it out without the appropriate puller can be a little challenging, though). A generic one like this should work:
http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/ShopC ... 5_pg36.htm ...or you could make a tool from a piece of flat stock, the "official" tool (VW681) looks like this: http://tools.baumtools.com/popup_detail.jsp?id=11366
Removing the gear carrier requires that the pinion nut be taken off (special $$ socket) and here's where things could get a little tricky for you - I'd recommend that you pass on replacing that gasket and just snug down the nuts.
1971GhiaCoupe

Post by 1971GhiaCoupe »

Marc,

That's exactly what I was looking for! It sounds like I can get @ alot of the seals without getting too deep into it.

In your opinion, do you think this will seal up a leaky box pretty well?

Let me know,

fisch
Marc

Post by Marc »

Sorry if it sounds flippant, but there's no way for me to tell from here.
If it looks like there's major leakage between the gear carrier housing and the main casting, you could try cracking them apart far enough to wind a piece of waxed dental floss around outboard of the studs and then cinch it down again - but if the paper gasket separates in the process this could do more harm than good.

Post by Guest »

Nah, it makes sense.

Thanks for your help!

Fisch