Welcome..

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
Henryhoehandle

Welcome..

Post by Henryhoehandle »

Hello to everyone and thanks for checking out this new section. I have been asked to moderate this forum and I consider it an honor and a privilege to do so. I will help in anyway I can. I have been building VW transaxles for almost 20 years and I am happy to share my knowledge. I do not know "everything" but I do have a detailed understanding on what each part does, and solutions to most, if not all of your problems regarding the VW air cooled transaxle. I am sure others on here as well have a vast amount of knowledge and feel free to share.

Eric
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

Many of us worked to get this forum going. It is great to have Eric as the moderator. He has always been great at sharing his vast knowledge of the VW transaxle. He was an incredible help in the building of my just finished trans for my offroad Thing. Thanks Eric for your continued willingness to help us all out K-mann
Henryhoehandle

Post by Henryhoehandle »

Thanks K-mann. People like you are the reason I built my site. I have always been happy to share my knowledge with others. I do not "know everything" nor do I claim too, but with my knowledge, and everyone else's on this forum, we should be able to really steer a lot of people in the right direction, and save them time, headaches, and money, plus, meet a lot of great and unique people too.
Take care,
Eric
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

Eric, I hope you realize how much your help is appreciated. Especially for folks like me who are far separated from the main stream of the vw world. Living rurally is great except when you have an issue with some technical detail that there are no answers without your VW online pals. I really enjoyed reading the heated debate about the early trans meshed with the 71 bug motor. Good stuff. K-mann
Ron Perkins

Post by Ron Perkins »

Excellent forum topic. I've been building VW engines for a long time but haven't ever tried trannies...I want to start, got plenty of practice ones lying around. I like high HP VW's and am sick of depending on others to build a trans for me...by the time you add shipping core charge, etc, they get real expensive. Right now I've been waiting on a close ratio trans for over 6 weeks....looks like I'll be sticking the turbo'd 2007 behind the stock 67 trans...hope it holds together for at least a while. No power shifting and always preload any quick take offs. I've heard that the original 67 is a pretty good trans...is it true they have a tougher Klingenberg RP? what else is good/bad about them. I'm putting in solid mounts and an Underdog Racing frame horn support bar...what else can I do..pray?
Henryhoehandle

Post by Henryhoehandle »

Ron Perkins wrote:Excellent forum topic. I've been building VW engines for a long time but haven't ever tried trannies...I want to start, got plenty of practice ones lying around. I like high HP VW's and am sick of depending on others to build a trans for me...by the time you add shipping core charge, etc, they get real expensive. Right now I've been waiting on a close ratio trans for over 6 weeks....looks like I'll be sticking the turbo'd 2007 behind the stock 67 trans...hope it holds together for at least a while. No power shifting and always preload any quick take offs. I've heard that the original 67 is a pretty good trans...is it true they have a tougher Klingenberg RP? what else is good/bad about them. I'm putting in solid mounts and an Underdog Racing frame horn support bar...what else can I do..pray?
I think some of the 1967's had a K R&P. The main weaknesses are 1st gear and the diff. Next weakest is probably the case itself or the R&P, or even the axles. The K R&P is supposed to be stronger, but usually something else "goes" before the R&P anyway, especially with a lot of HP and a heavy foot!

Post by Guest »

Glad to see you here Eric, totally awesome, and no my trans is not together yet, my son will go to school probably before i finish it!. Thanks for all the help. Wellington
Henryhoehandle

Post by Henryhoehandle »

[quote="Anonymous"]Glad to see you here Eric, totally awesome, and no my trans is not together yet, my son will go to school probably before i finish it!. Thanks for all the help. Wellington[/quote]

Welcome aboard..
jhtaylor

Post by jhtaylor »

Hey, I just discovered this forum . . . wotta coinkydink! I just purchased Long Enterprizes CD's, both the swing axle and the 091. I will be getting all of the tooling I need from them unless you can recommend a better source? I notice this paricular string is ancient so I hope you are still involved. I will be tearing into my first tranny this fall. I have been messin' with VW's since 1969. I have touched every part on and in them with exception of the transaxle. I figured it was time I tackeled the final frontier.
Henryhoehandle

Post by Henryhoehandle »

Welcome aboard! There are a lot of knowledgeable people here to help..
coop007

Re: Welcome..

Post by coop007 »

How do I post a question about my '68 Ghia transaxle ?
Thank you

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

coop007

Post by coop007 »

Anyway, my '68 Ghia transaxle was a build from Transform many years ago.
Shifts great, but, the rear end wiggles back and forth like a hula dancer.
Thinking differential spider gears are bad.
Ideas ??
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Drushing1992

Post by Drushing1992 »

Coop007 does the transaxle wiggle or is it at the wheel and hub?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk