Shafts stuck in main case, cant push out pinion/trans....

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
Bobby74

Shafts stuck in main case, cant push out pinion/trans....

Post by Bobby74 »

Trying to find a catchy title to describe this problem is hard! :)

I have 4 core transaxles torn down... 1 IRS and 3 swingaxles to rob parts from. 3 out of 4 have been pretty easy.
On one of the swing axle cases, late model '67-68, I cannot get the pinion to press out of the case far enough to pop the rest of the intermediate housing off/gear stack out of the main case. The intermediate housing is pressed out about a 1/2 inch and that's as far as it wants to go.

I went as far as removing the nuts off the ends of the shafts, all circlips pulled that I can access, and all of the 'stops' bolts pulled out of the case/housing for the idler shafts.

I can get it about 80% of the way apart, but the top portion of the case is really hung up at the 12 o'clock position.
I have a scissor jack that I use for pressing the trans out of the main case. It feels like I am using way too much force to press this out, and I don't want to bend or damage any parts.

I tried heat from a MAPP torch, tapping on the housing, tapping on a nut on the stud, etc. I don't want to damage anything.

Any ideas on the cause or tips?
Thank you,
-Bobby
Dougy Dee

Re: Shafts stuck in main case, cant push out pinion/trans....

Post by Dougy Dee »

Reverse stuck on it's shaft?
Pull the reverse gear in the diff area and whack that shaft thru.
Casting Timmy

Post by Casting Timmy »

I use an aluminum piece to hit with my hammer on the gear carrier where the gasket doesn't touch, that would be something else to try and see if it helps.
Bobby74

Post by Bobby74 »

Tried all of the above.... I was able to get it about 1/8" further out, but it is still REALLY stuck. Even bent a pry bar...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Casting Timmy

Post by Casting Timmy »

I've had corroded studs about lock them on, I'd concentrate the force on the gear carrier or even just cut the studs!
Bobby74

Post by Bobby74 »

Bobby74

Post by Bobby74 »

Casting Timmy wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:11 pm I've had corroded studs about lock them on, I'd concentrate the force on the gear carrier or even just cut the studs!
It does feel like its hung up on that stud, but its hard to tell. I'm going to try and double-nut it, if I can, and remove the stud. Otherwise, I'll have to cut the offending stud.
Had to take a break.... Just about threw it across the garage. :lol:
Bobby74

Post by Bobby74 »

Success! The stud was the problem. Not enough room to get a nut on it. The pinion was too far out of the case to get the housing back down. I used a coping saw with a thin blade to leave as much of the stud as possible. It was locked up solid and the trans came flying out as soon as that stud was cut.
Found some missing teeth on a slider, but everything else looks OK (shavings are from sawing the stud)
Found this trans has a solid spacer between 3rd and 4th.
You can see the piece of the stud I was able to drive out of the housing down below.
Thanks for the tip about the stud! What a mess.
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

Thanks for taking the time to share this;
Just another one of those many gotchas that can getcha.

No substitute for actual experience..
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853