091/1 side shift Questions

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
terryly

091/1 side shift Questions

Post by terryly »

Hello I have been wanting a 091/1 transaxle for my Baja bug off road car. Well I finally got one. Cleaned it up a little took some measurements.seems like it will fit physically. removed the 10* mount I had on the 002 that was in the car and tried to get it on the 091/1.. no go so started to remove bell housing to switch to the 002 bellhousing and wondered if it would go from the back side. Bingo with a small amount of clearancing it fit yahoo. Just have to alter the front urethane bushing. Any ways I was able to get a measurement for the shifter so that's real good. Apparently came out of a 1984 water boxer no model given. Seems real clean inside when I had the bellhousing off with only a little fuzz on the drain magnet

Here is a couple of questions I have if you could please.
1 where do I find the trans code on this case I cleaned the case up a little with a scraper and wire brush found some #s but don't think I have the code
2 Is there any maintenance improvements or useful inspections that can be done by disassembling/removing either the nose cone or bell housing ?
3 I have read these models may not need a jig for reassembly Is this true ?
4 It came with a stock hydraulic slave cylinder Are these stock ones any good ? You would think they should be pretty stout and smooth. I have a working jamar slave cylinder that was set up for the 002 would you use the stocker or the Jamar slave cylinder
5 I will need to vent this case to prevent water /mud intrusion where is the best place for a vent Vent higher than expected water level and put a loop in it ?
That,s all I can think of right now here is some pics
Terry
here is numbers i found I don't think they are the right ones for clues on gearing any one care to guess ?
pics of inside bellhousing
side x side with 002 its a good bit stouter
10* rear mount details
Here is the front mount that I will have to alter. All in all I am real happy with the ease it slipped in to the Baja

The bits that would not fit between the frame horns :oops: And new 930 conversion flanges
And finally the car its going into
Thanks for looking
Terry
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
woodsbuggy1

Re: 091/1 side shift Questions

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

The number that you are looking for is on the bottom side of the case directly below the back up light switch on the flat area, it stamped into the case. I would run the aftermarket slave cylinder. As far as simple upgrades I would use a super diff (VW factory are good) and a torsional input shaft from Weddle. The diff is probably a 4.83 or 4.86 those were the most common, let me know what code your trans is and I can look up the gearing.
Good Luck
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
terryly

Post by terryly »

Thanks woodsbuggy1 will get that code this weekend missed it down there :oops:
Any particular reason to run the after market slave cylinder ?
Good call on the torsional input shaft I am going to have to shorten the original to use the 091 bell housing with a type 1 correct ?
Thanks ... Thanks a lot woodsbuggy1 I looked at Wedles Factory super diff... seems pretty good. BUT On the same page there is this Automatic torque biasing Differential with air locker!!!! What ever :lol: :lol:
https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000162/1004202
Terry
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

Terry, yes input shaft will need to be shortened, I was thinking about 3/8" but measure your 002 and compare. I live in flatland so we drive several hours before we can unload and play, we try to standardize parts so we can share spares. I know that I can get an aftermarket slave cylinder in 1 or 2 days but have no idea how long it takes to get a VW slave cylinder or what the cost is. You should use what works for you. If you watch on thesamba you can find a complete VW superdiff for $300 or less delivered.
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
terryly

Post by terryly »

Hi there phoned my friend and got him to look for the code for me looks like I have a DU code. 4.86 R/P with the usual 1st -3.78 2nd -2.06 3rd -1.26 4th -.85
I poked around a bit but can't seem to find a gear calculator that lets me enter a 32" tire. Know of a good calculator ? I am running BFG ko 32x11,5x15
Thanks
Terry
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

The good news on the locker is your main case has the casting in it (needs to be machined) to accept the factory Vanagon Locker if you went with that. The stock Vanagon Slave cylinder is fairly easy to get in about a day from any FLAPS, however I do not know its compatibility with your aftermarket clutch master, though you could make your pedal interface with the factory Vanagon master and keep them as a matched pair.
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)