Crunching into 3rd

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
andy198712

Crunching into 3rd

Post by andy198712 »

Hello

I have a 72 standard beetle, was a 1200 and now 2110.

I fitted a 1500 gearbox and has the taller gears, compared to the 1200 it replaces but it crunches into 3rd on up shifts unless I do it pretty slowly, it's also a bit noisey and drones badly in reverse when I put the clutch in and moving backwards or let off the gas.

So my question is,

Can I fix it? I don't have special jigs ect but have use of a press and I'm pretty handy, built my 2110 and converted the ITBs off a gsxr to fit and the exhaust ect...

It kind of ruins the car a bit as it pulls hard then you have to go real slow into 3rd so it doesn't crunch

Cheers
Andy
Marc

Re: Crunching into 3rd

Post by Marc »

Requires a sizeable investment in specialized tools to work on a trans, not really cost-effective if you'll only be using them once or twice - depending upon the local market it may be cheaper to just buy another used transaxle and hope it's in better shape.

You can make a jig for adjusting the shift forks by sectioning a similar gear carrier; if you can borrow/rent a pinion nut tool and have access to a press you could possibly handle taking it apart to replace the synchro ring(s) on your own, but it'd be better if you had someone with experience to mentor you on your first effort. Is the noise more pronounced in 1st/2nd or in 3rd/4th? I'm guessing you'll be needing a new mainshaft bearing.
What's the codeletter on the trans? Do you know what year it is?

Read through the procedure in the Bentley manual and judge whether this is something you think you could handle.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

Do you have to reset the shift forks every time or can they come out undisturbed and go back in the way they came?

It's only going from 2nd up to 3rd I believe, doesn't do it if I go in slowly.

As for the code, if I recall it's AS but has another letter stamped by that (clearly not OE) so been rebuilt at some point I believe.

Just checked prices on that pinion socket... I see what you mean!
Casting Timmy

Post by Casting Timmy »

Here is my first rebuild, some tools you don't need from the Bentley and others you can substitute.

Ive taken apart transaxles that you can tell they made marks on the rails and just put the forks back where they found them. I would really suggest another transaxle to try and take apart and see what you think. Be careful as some parts look the same until you look closer at them.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

yeah i was thinking about buying another one to tinker on, a cheap one...

great idea, i could mark where the shift forks are and replace them as per... or find a scrap case and cut away part seems to work too... is tranny rebuilds covered in enough detail on the Bentley? or is there a better source? maybe of high power applications?

thanks for your help guys :)

i saw a guys DIY pinion socket, but where do you get the outer part from or did he make that from scratch do you think?
Casting Timmy

Post by Casting Timmy »

andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

Cheers buddy :)