How do you store and organize your parts???

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
Casting Timmy

How do you store and organize your parts???

Post by Casting Timmy »

Right now I have boxes for different groups of parts, but I need to figure out something a little different in terms of storage. I was really thinking about clear plastic storage boxes and/or a parts bin for some of the small stuff.

Thanks
Tim
Dougy Dee

Re: How do you store and organize your parts???

Post by Dougy Dee »

Organize! Now you sound like my wife!

I have several (8 at last count) wheel around carts that I use to store work in progress.

The fold up cardboard boxes that FLAPS stores their parts in can be labeled and sorted thru easily. Mine are from SKF...

I also use clear plastic containers of various sizes to store assembled main and pinion shafts in.

There also is a pile of stuff that will be thrown out when scrap prices rise but occasionally I'll go sorting thru that mess looking for parts I know I have but 'must have thrown out'.
Casting Timmy

Post by Casting Timmy »

I did buy some plastic stacking parts bin that took care of most of the organization, I still need to work on an in progresss size box for a rebuild. I do like your idea of clear plastic, I might switch some of them over to that as well.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Casting Timmy wrote:I did buy some plastic stacking parts bin that took care of most of the organization, I still need to work on an in progresss size box for a rebuild. I do like your idea of clear plastic, I might switch some of them over to that as well.
I also have used plastic boxes but you have to be careful with them. Some boxes don't like a lot of weight in them, stacking them too high can cause failure with the lower boxes in the stack or lifting them out can get to be hard on the back, some of the chemicals on engine parts may not allow them to hold up well.

I have found that wrapping parts that have to be chemically protected (like oil or grease) seem to work better in a storage situation when you wrap the parts in film. I bought an industrial size roll of the "wrap" and use it to protect the parts too big or long when stored on shelves or sized small enough to be stored in storage boxes. I also use sandwich style bags and medicine bottles to store/separate small, lose parts marking the contents of each with a Sharpie. These are obvious things to do but often not thought of.