Should I Swap Out the 1-2 Shift Rail?

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
Dougy Dee

Should I Swap Out the 1-2 Shift Rail?

Post by Dougy Dee »

I'm rebuilding an AT trans which had a trashed Reverse gear. Unfortunately the gear is an oddball. 15 Tooth, Paddle style reverse on a coarse spline transfer shaft mating to 40 Tooth 1-2 slider. I have about 6 good fine spline gears but no course.

Decided to change to a 17 Tooth, brass cage or early style reverse gear with 44 Tooth 1-2 slider so I wouldn't have to swap out the transfer shaft to a fine spline unit which I also am out of...

I'm thinking about the 1-2 shift rail. Should it be swapped out to an earlier version?
The original one has one line cut across the engagement head end.
dangerous

Re: Should I Swap Out the 1-2 Shift Rail?

Post by dangerous »

Don't use the early reverse gear stuff in that late case.
It works in the jig, but hits the case about 5 or 6mm before you can get full engagement.

I have modified the case, gear, fork and washer on the idler, to make it work,
but the time taken is more than the cost of a new cog.

The 44 tooth slider width is normally 26mm so there is a need to change the 1/2 rail,
UNLESS!
The brand new VW Brazil sliders are 44 tooth and only 25mm same as the original from your AT box.
Bruce2

Re: Should I Swap Out the 1-2 Shift Rail?

Post by Bruce2 »

Dougy Dee wrote: Unfortunately the gear is an oddball. 15 Tooth, Paddle style reverse on a coarse spline
That gear is not an oddball, every 72-75 Type 1 trans had it, and it is available new as a Made in USA part. Rancho or Long Ent should be able to supply it.

Keep your original 1-2 shift rod. Like Dave said, the late rod with the groove on the head is for 25mm wide sliders, or 26mm sliders that have been narrowed to 25mm.