Ultimate Rhino based RGB trans questions

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
63busguy

Ultimate Rhino based RGB trans questions

Post by 63busguy »

I finally finished my 2276 for my 63 bus and want to start getting a trans put together before it goes in. Since the rhino case was made to be used with RGB thats what I got.

Engine

w120 9:1
CB mini wedge equivalent
1 5/8 sidewinder
KEP stage 1 stock disk

Tires

215/75/15 BFG AT

Trans

Aluminum rhino case to start, two small nut trans cores both 4.12, .82 4th one big nut core also 4.12/.82 4th, several early type 1 cores 4.37/4.12.

I have always used the bus loaded down and ton of off road miles and long highway trips. With the increased power of the engine I was wondering if a 3.88 ring and pinion would be better/stronger for the application. I dont plan on driving faster than 70mph on the freeway but want decent off road manners.

Wondering which RGB is stronger the small nut or big nut? Dont plan on a super diff but a stock diff with 10/15 side/spider combo.

Even though I have acquired most of the tooling required to build air cooled transmissions I will probably take it to one of the local guys I trust. Anyone have any more recommendations on the build or what other cores I may need to make the rhino case work? Dual HD side covers? Welded gears necessary? Anything I should consider to beef the RGB?

Pablo what do you think?
Pablo2

Re: Ultimate Rhino based RGB trans questions

Post by Pablo2 »

Merry Christmas !

The Rhino case is perfect for this application. I built one of these years ago for my '66 double cab, using 3.88 and later 002-style gears. With reduction gears and upgraded engine, the 3.88 is fine. 1st gear won't be as crawly as with 4.12 or 4.37, but it will be OK. (I use the same BF Goodrich tires)

If using early gears, yes .. I would weld 3rd & 4th idlers.

If using an early brass-caged reverse, the Rhino case MUST be clearanced internally (red X in the following photo) http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/287985.jpg

I concur with your choice of diffs .. just have the diff body machined for a second circlip per side (a pretty simple job).

No need for HD side covers, IF you find OE ones that are in good shape. (HD covers are necessary for an extra external through-bolt when the ring gear is on the left, but in an early van, the ring gear is on the right.) There's a couple stock stud locations that when changed to through-bolts (with head studs) will do a decent job of securing your right-hand cover. (Those same through-bolts would do nothing to help secure a left-hand diff.)

Good luck
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86
63busguy

Post by 63busguy »

Thanks!

If using the 002 gears I will also need the hybrid main shaft? Which are actually stronger the early or late gears?

Which studs should be changed to through bolts?
Pablo2

Post by Pablo2 »

Type II 002 gears (.82 4th) from a '75 pyramid
Type I 002 intermediate housing from about '71-on
002 3.78 mainshaft
You may need to clearance type II nosecone for late ball bearing (or use a sandwich plate).
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86