Tips and Tricks for Transmission Work

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
Bruce2

Tips and Tricks for Transmission Work

Post by Bruce2 »

What are your little tricks for getting the job done easier or faster?

Here's one to start this off:
Henryhoehandle wrote: I remember a long time ago when i first started working on vw transmissions i could not figure out an easy way to get the aluminum detent hole plugs out of the gc housings. I tried drilling and tapping and pulling them. It was a pain. Then i figured out why not just drive them deeper until they fall out the shift rail hole...works perfectly.
Pablo2

Re: Tips and Tricks for Transmission Work

Post by Pablo2 »

Keeping in mind that almost all time-saving tricks have a downside, here's one shown to me by a VW-trained mechanic: When changing out just an operating sleeve, place the old sleeve / hub assembly on top of the new sleeve (lined up, of course). Briskly press the center hub downward, and presto .. the new sleeve is installed without individually installing 3 energizers and 2 springs.
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86
Henryhoehandle

Post by Henryhoehandle »

I made a special bent 11 mm box end wrench for adjusting the 1st/2nd shift fork on BUS transmissions (bus only). It is possible to go through the fill plug hole and adjust without taking the trans apart. This is only advisable for small adjustments because when you change it, you are also changing the depth of the reverse idler. I call it the lazy way to adjust 1st/2nd gear.. lol
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

For the longest time, to get the side covers off, I would hammer at the little tabs with a screwdriver against the tab. After a while they would get pretty beat up, sometimes they would chip right off.
Now, on IRS, I just hammer against the output stub of the diff on the starter side with the plastic hammer. It's out in 5 whacks with no damage to the side cover.