Locking differentials and stupid ideas... What do you think?

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
petew

Locking differentials and stupid ideas... What do you think?

Post by petew »

I do autokhanas on wet tarmac and dirt and I'm super keen for some sort of locking center. I looked into quaifes, ZFs and modenas and while some days I want to sell my kids, there's no other way I could justify it. So I'm trying to think out of the box.

What I would love is a 'lock right' style diff center. These work like a detroit locker. I came across this kit for Suzuki Escudo (Vitara over here) and it got me thinking...

How hard would it be to machine something similar to fit in a swingaxle diff housing and use the stock side gear? Would the price of machining outweigh the point of the exercise?

This is a not a progressive LSD like a torsen or plate style, but for broken/slippery surfaces it would be pretty good.

I assume this also means getting rid of the spider gears which we all know are a great weakness in the stock diff. Thoughts?
Pablo2

Re: Locking differentials and stupid ideas... What do you th

Post by Pablo2 »

Wet tarmac probably prefers TBD, but I'd vote for experimenting with "loc right" over wasting money on a phantom-grip or similar, that's for sure. Correct tires, tire pressure, car balance, etc .. all are important. Please let us know how it goes ..
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86