new to this site

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
tooterpulling

new to this site

Post by tooterpulling »

this is a great site. I'm working on a buggy project. 100" wheelbase street only buggy. going to use for cruise ins and street racing the V-8 guys. motor will be a 2332 turbo motor apx. 300 hp with 26" tall rear tire. buggy and driver will weigh about 1400 pounds. my question is what would you use for gear ratios? I have built several natural aspirated transmissions but have never built one for a turbo motor. I will be using a type 1 tranny with a 3.88 ring and pinion. looking for opinions on gear stacks. question number 2. would you run the 4 bolt style pinion plate that you see in the swing axles? this will be a swing axle buggy, or would you run the irs pinion nut style retainer with the bigger 091 bus pinion bearing and the hybrid style main shaft versus the keyed style mainshaft? opinions would be greatly appreciated. thanks and sorry for such a long post.
Pablo2

Re: new to this site

Post by Pablo2 »

Welcome .. You'll notice it's a bit slow around here, but there's some good threads to read through.
Here's one: http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 50&t=89944

If you can be talked into IRS, a re-geared Type II transaxle would serve your needs best. If you're intent on staying with Type I swing, I'll address just a couple of your questions.

It's a toss-up between early and later style pinion bearings. While a large diameter pinion bearing is nice, the mainshaft needle bearing has gone smaller in size to accommodate it. Those smaller needle bearings are the trade off for the bigger pinion bearing .. and they sometimes fail.

Personally, I prefer the early pinion bearing only because that's what the Rhino case uses. A Rhino case with a single external through bolt was an important part of my recipe for drag transaxles.

I'd spend for a hybrid shaft over a keyed mainshaft. Since you're using 3.88 with splined 4th, keep both keys out. Go with the latest stuff.
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86
tooterpulling

Post by tooterpulling »

type ones is all i have ever built i have the jig but nevyr used it for type 2 i have some of the type 1 hd parts already but if the type 2 is that much better and i am gonna speend the big money anyway its a trade off ok what bus tranny will i look for i have herd of 6rib 3 rib? also what about axles and cv to use..thank you for your input and not making me feel like a idiot
Pablo2

Post by Pablo2 »

Although I'd probably be of more help with Type I, I've built quite a few Type II drag transaxles, and they were all hybrids using either 091 6-rib or late 002 5-rib. In the end, they all were 002 length, with a combination of 113 and 002 internals, using Berg-style intermediate housing (to allow early 4mm steel forks etc.) With the low R&P ratio, mainshaft is tall .. perhaps around 3.10 x 1.75. Exact ratios should be carefully chosen. I can't help on axles & cvs .. been out of drag racing too long.

There are a number of machining mods required to create a hybrid box, and I've forgotten some of them. It really helps to have your own lathe and Bridgeport. A jig can be made from an old Type II case.
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86
tooterpulling

Post by tooterpulling »

i have got the machining equip that not a problem thanku for your support
Henryhoehandle

Post by Henryhoehandle »

tooterpulling wrote:type ones is all i have ever built i have the jig but nevyr used it for type 2 i have some of the type 1 hd parts already but if the type 2 is that much better and i am gonna speend the big money anyway its a trade off ok what bus tranny will i look for i have herd of 6rib 3 rib? also what about axles and cv to use..thank you for your input and not making me feel like a idiot

930 cvs and axles are by FAR a lot stronger but also a lot harder on the wallet. A lot of it depends on angle. The less angle, the more any cv will stand. If you do not plan on a lot of angle, then bus cvs with chromoly cages should hold pretty well.